Wednesday, May 19, 2010

the one abut the field trip

Today I was able to go with Quayd on his second grade field trip. We went to historic Josie's Cabin. Josie was a lady who built a cabin and ran a ranch near Split Mountain on Dinosaur National Monument land. She is known for letting some of the outlaws (such as Butch Cassidy) stay at her place when they were traveling in the Colorado, Utah and Wyoming areas. The cabin is in such a beautiful location and it is amazing to think of what her life may have been like when she lived there. Josie established her homestead in 1914. She raised and butchered cattle, pigs, chickens and geese. She canned vegetables from her large garden. Her source of heat for her cabin was wood, her water came from a spring, and light from an oil lamp. Josie lived a 19th century lifestyle well into the 20th century. She lived there until she died at the age of 90 in 1964. It was so primitave and I felt totally weird playing with my cell phone and checking twitter from just outside her cabin!
Quayd and his friend Antonio


Quayd and I didn't really feel well. I have had allergy/sinus crap and Quayd had a stomach ache and said he had growing pains in his legs. We hung out together and took it easy the whole day. We sat together on the bus, ate lunch together and hiked together. I kept telling him to go play with his friends that he didn't have to hang out with his old mom, but he said he just wanted to spend the day with me. He is so awesome! It was such a great day. The weather was perfect, everything was starting to bloom and so beautiful.



I haven't been to this area for many years and I was so happy I went. I enjoy refreshing my mind with all of the fun history of this area... plus I LOVE seeing Quayd in another world besides home. Its fun to see him interact with his teacher and friends. He has such good friends and he is such a good little boy. We live in such a cool area and we are surrounded by rich history and amazing beauty. It was such a great day! I heart field trips!
Shade, Quayd and Rylan
Shade, Austin and Quayd
(Austin is the cutest little boy... He is autistic and has seriously grown leaps and bounds this year! Quayd and Shade have tried really hard to include him and be his friend. Austin LOVES these boys and is very posessive of them! He likes to know where they are and what they are doing every minute. Quayd and Shade don't even act phased by it all. They are such good boys! They make their moms very proud!)
Photobucket

4 comments:

Gill said...

That is so sweet of Quayd and Shade to be so kind to Austin! Those boys are going FAR in life! The Moms should be very proud but also patting their backs!

Hope said...

I haven't been to Josie's cabin since I was in elementary school! This post makes me totally want to go back! Maybe next time I'm in town I'll have to take my kids there.

Kandice said...

I love going there. I went there on a field trip when I was little.

I am so proud of Quayd and Slade for helping with that little boy. It got me all teary thinking and wishing that when Kayler gets in school that some little boys just like them will be his friend!

Janice {Run Far} said...

so fun. I can't believe how big he is getting.