Monday, September 7, 2009

the one about our air conditioner

This is such a funny story, I have to share it. Brett told me this would be a stupid thing to blog about, so I haven't yet. But every time I look at my picture folder on my computer, I see these and giggle. So I am finally giving in. I probably won't do it any justice, but I will try my best.

First, I have to start with some background details. Brett is seriously SO accident prone. But the funny thing about it, is that the accidents that happen to him are usually so weird and stupid!!! For example, he once broke both feet at the same time! It was a work injury so I am sure Worker's Comp loved us for that! Another funny one happened a few years ago. Brett was taking down our swamp cooler for the summer. It is just a window mount in our living room. He seemed to have it all under control and I was doing something in the house. He was standing a patio chair that sorta looked like this.

You know, that plastic weaved stuff? So he had just pulled the cooler out of the window and was going to step off of the chair and all of a sudden, his feet broke through the chair and he was just standing there on the ground, in the frame of the chair. I missed it, but my brother happened to see it and I guess it was hysterical! It actually kind of hurt Brett's legs the way it jarred him, but it was still funny! Another time, he was putting up Christmas lights and somehow slipped off the roof and right into the middle of this pokey tree I have in front of my house. From the tree, he grabbed the edge of the roof and swung himself around and face planted himself into the huge picture window in my living room. Then, once he got his footing he tried to jump to the ground and nearly fell on our animated light up moose. While trying to avoid the moose, he did that thing you do when you are about to fall but you are trying to catch yourself, and you just end up running. Yah. He did that. He was SO MAD at me, because I just stood there laughing at him. What else could I do? It was one of those moments that is like slow motion, but hyper speed at the same time. It was a riot. I am cracking up just thinking about it! He kind of huffed and puffed around for a minute then finally laughed about it. The worst part was that my brother saw that one too. Knowing that my brother saw it makes it all even worse!!! Of course, my brother tells everyone and then Brett is teased about it forever. That is what family is all about, right!?!?! Brett wants everyone to think he is big and tough, but he is actually a big clumsy DORK!!! Now that I think about it, that was the last year Brett put up Christmas lights for me! Anyway, my mind is flooded with a million funny stories like this, but I will spare you and get on to the real story.

So, in mid May, we installed the swamp cooler. We also have a window mount air conditioner that we put in our bedroom. We HATE to be hot! It is much harder to install than the swamp cooler because it weighs about 10 times more! Brett usually does the swamp cooler alone, but the A.C. is definitely a 2 person job. Every year, there is some kind of drama involved and Brett and I usually end up fighting by the end of the project! He usually ends up hurt and he usually blames me for it!! :) So this year was no different. The best part of this story is how hillbilly we sound with this whole thing! We love to be nice and cool, and we love to have a dark room. But the way we achieve that is so funny, and trailer-trashy. Anyway, Brett was on a ladder outside the bedroom window. I was standing on our bed inside the window. He is panting and swearing bringing the A.C. up the ladder. He lifted it up and steadied it in the window. This is where I took over holding it so he could hook the chain stuff on the hooks. Our windows are the old style that slide up and down. We have to put sticks in the window so it doesn't slip. Brett had gone down the ladder to get something and I was holding it in place. Somehow, the sticks slipped and I totally lost my grip. I tried to hold it, but I had just got my nails done that day and I didn't want to break one. (I know, I know. I haven't heard the end of that yet!) The A.C. fell to the ground. It was seriously inches from hitting Brett!!! Very scary! That thing is HEAVY! Well, of course, he was mad at me! It totally smashed up the thing and we had no idea if it would ever work. There was no way to tell unless we turned it on. Brett did the old Heave-Ho and got it back up the ladder. More swear words this time, I am sure!!! I held on a little better and he hooked it all up. IT WORKS!!! It rattles a little bit, but with a strategically placed piece of duct tape, you barley hear it. Because it smashed so weird, it distorted the shape and it didn't fit as well in the window. Remember, we don't like light in our room, so we had to use towels to fill in the gaps! We also put this one sheet and blanket in the window every year to block the light. By the time we were all finished, I stepped back and laughed at our work. Brett was still a little irritated with me since I had nearly killed him, so he didn't think it was funny. I'm sure enough time has passed now that he can laugh about it. ;) So here are the pictures of our work.

Notice the dents on the cooler, the sticks at the bottom of the window, (and the pokey tree from the first story!)

dark sheet and towels,


Strategically placed duct tape!
So anyway, that is our crazy story about our bedroom air conditioner! And you want to know the funniest part? Well, when I dropped it and it nearly hit Brett, something caught my eye in my driveway.... It was my brother! He was just pulling in from work and he saw the whole thing!!!! Go figure!!!

7 comments:

galleygrapevine said...

Thanks for the laughs this morning. You guys are always doing something crazy!

Kandice said...

Hehe...Brett really does have some doozies of accidents
I can totally picture this incident happening...lol.
Wish I lived next door so I could get a good laugh now and then!

Lindsay said...

Ha ha! LOVE IT! Poor brett...

-Amy- said...

Hahaha!! Thanks for the good laugh!! I can totally picture Brett doing all that!lol Now it is time to take the AC out...BE CAREFUL!haha

Janice {Run Far} said...

tee hee... love it. I remember all those dang funny thing happening. this story was just as good. Poor guy is so accident pron.... :)

Miss ya

Chauntue Peterson said...

Sounds just like Rhett and I putting in our swamp cooler. Rhett is always mad because I'm not tuff enough but last year he figured out it isn't as heavy if you take the side pannels off go figure with we figured that our years ago. Would have saved alot of fights and cussing haha love ya
btw if you get board feel free to make my blog cute i'll I.M. the pass words but you so do not have to.

Robin Conner said...

That was a great story! Fun to read all about his mishaps! Your salsa also looked soooo good! You have to share the recipe! I'd love to try it!! But if it's a "secret" then I understand! ;)