Friday, January 1, 2010

the one about an egg phenomenon

This is a totally random post, but I just thought this was so bizarre.

Quayd loves scrambled eggs. I make them several times a week. He likes me to put a slice of cheese on it when its all finished. Anyway, the other day I cracked his egg, like usual, and look how weird! It had two yolks!! I was curious how common or uncommon this was because I had never heard of it before. I learned that Double Yolkers appear when ovulation occurs too rapidly, or when one yolk somehow gets "lost" and is joined by the next yolk. Double yolkers may be by a pullet whose productive cycle is not yet well synchronized. They're occasionally laid by a heavy-breed hen, often as an inherited trait. I guess about 1 in 1000 eggs has a double yolk. I found this website that talked about tons of other weird egg stuff. On that site you'll also find descriptions of other egg oddities. Who knew you could have no yolkers, double shelled eggs, eggs without shells, spoon shaped eggs, eggs with tails, wormy eggs, triple yolkers, and even a nine yolker? Yikes!

Very random, but very interesting. Photobucket

4 comments:

galleygrapevine said...

kind of makes me NOT want to eat them........BUT I still will!

Janice {Run Far} said...

so funny... but mostly that you blogged about it.

Janice {Run Far} said...

BTW- that is just one of the million reasons why I love you so much.... and I miss you too.

Ramanda said...

We had a friend who had a hen that laid eggs like that! I loved it! It's like a bonus! Buy one get one free baby! I have never gotten one from store bought eggs though!