Friday, January 22, 2010

the one about taking a pledge



I am not a huge Oprah watcher, but I did happen to catch it the other day. I was shocked by what I saw. It was about people who text and talk on the phone while driving. The statistics were SCARY!

I used to text in the car, but had a couple of close calls and heard about a few terrible accidents of people who were texting and driving, so I had pretty much quit. But I was still guilty of talking on the phone in the car. Honestly, I felt like I was a good enough driver to talk and drive so I didn't think twice about it. On Oprah's show they showed how when you talk on the phone, you miss a lot of things. You can't focus on a conversation and every detail on the road. EVEN with a hands free set. Scientifically, it is just too much for your brain to process. Everything my look normal, but your brain is actually blocking things. Well that "thing" it is blocking, could very likely be somebody's child in the road. Or your child in the road, or even MY child in the road. Very scary. I took this episode very seriously and I think you should too.

To take the pledge like I did, click here.

For more information and a link to Monday's episode, click here.


Photobucket

2 comments:

Janice {Run Far} said...

I try hard not to text while driving... I will pull over and text then get back on the road. I do talk on the phone though... I really should stop. I think I will take the pledge as well. Thanks.

Go Blue Team!!!!!! <3

galleygrapevine said...

I watched that too! I rarely talk on the phone or text while driving but this is a HUGE wake up NOT to do it at all. NO phone call or message is as important as a life. I took the pledge. :)