Friday, August 14, 2009

the one about the ice cream truck

My cute little nephew, Brayden, and I have been talking for months about starting an ice cream truck business. Everyone just laughed at us and thought we were silly. We already knew we had a vehicle. My Grandma has this old van that was not being used and we knew that it was already as good as ours. Well two weeks ago Friday, Brayden and I sat down and made a business plan. We went to my Grandma and asked if we could use the van. She was so excited that we were really serious about it, she offered to help us get our business started. Once everyone decided that we were serious, they were all on board and we all got super excited! We, meaning Brett, Quayd, My big brother Brandon, his wife Danette and their other son Brennen. We didn't think we could actually get it going for this year, but we thought we might as well start working on it now so we would be ready next Spring. Anyway, that Sunday, we decided to see what it was going to take to get the van running. We popped the hood. It didn't have a battery, so we took care of that. We poured a little gas in the tank, put air in the tires and no joke, it started right up!

We even took it for a spin around the neighborhood and it ran PERFECTLY! Once we realized that getting it going was not going to be as hard as we thought, we decided that if we all worked hard, we could get it done for the last couple months of summer. So the next step was to figure out how to make it look presentable. The old paint was awful! There were huge rust spots and it was chipping terrible. We knew we wanted it to look nice in the end, so we decided to sand all of the old crap off and just start fresh. We scraped, sanded, grinded for a whole week.


It was the suckiest job EVER! Brayden and his dad and Brett & I worked day and night. We did it in my back yard, so my whole house, inside and out, was covered in dust!!! Of course, during all of this sanding, I was running errands and making phone calls all day everyday to line up ice cream, bank account, sales tax info, business license, insurance, and on and on and on and on..... In the meantime, I was still taking care of my mom/wife duties, watching my nephews all day and working part time!FYI, setting up a business is HARD! Anyway, after the sanding was finished, we had to paint. My brother lined up a shop for us to use so we drove it there and had to mask everything. Of course, it needed a few coats of primer first. And each coat of primer had to be sanded again. So we all worked hard on that too.






Some of it was just to boring for the little boys, but they were so good and helped when they could. And when they couldn't, they rode bikes! Seriously though, they were such good boys.
Now let me back up a little bit. I showed you how awful the outside was... well we haven't even gotten to the inside yet! My grandparents had been using the inside of the van for storage. Yes, I said storage.... Look at that hideous wood paneling and orange upholstery. YUCK! And you can't even imagine all of the wasps nests we found! Anyway, the inside needed a makeover too. Brett ripped out all of the consoles, couches and carpet. The sub floor was in bad shape so Brandon replaced it. Brayden and I painted the inside, Brett did the linoleum and I reupholstered the ugly orange stuff.


As I said before, we never thought we could be up and running this summer. But here it is two weeks later and we are hitting the streets! I can't believe it. We went out and about yesterday and did quite well. There are still a few kinks to work out and a few things to fix up, but all in all, we are good to go. Now you have already seen the before pictures.... are you ready for the after pix??? The two big black things on the top are speakers.... Oh yah. We even have REAL ice cream truck music!!!



I can't believe we did it! I am so proud of it and it turned out better than I ever could have imagined. This old van has so much history in our family. I know that sounds stupid, but it really does. My grandma drove it for years and everyone knew it was her. We went on road trips in it and wherever else we needed to go that we could all fit inside. In fact, I even rode to my wedding in this old van!!! My skirt had the hoop things in it and was so big I couldn't get into a car and I didn't want to take the hoop slip thing off. I told all of my bridesmaids to hop in in the van and I plopped down right in the middle of the floor! It was so funny. Most brides ride to their wedding in a limo, but not me. I rode in the action van. We have called it the action van for ever, and it has a tiny squeak so we say it has a little mouse inside. When we first started it up and heard the squeak we all said, "The mouse is still there!" We have so many fun memories in this old van. The money will be used to help the three boys buy cars, college, or whatever else. For now it will be split between Brayden and myself. And when he gets older, the two little boys can run it and split the money. Since there are three boys, we decided to call it Triple Scoops. If you want to see us in your neighborhood, just call me, text me, email me or even leave comments on my blog or facebook. I have a blackberry so all of that stuff comes right to my cell phone. We are trying to find the best neighborhoods, so any help we can get is gladly accepted! Coming soon to a neighborhood near you!!!
signature

15 comments:

houseofgirlsandjohn said...

I am so impressed. Feel free to bring it to the City next time you come, my kids would love that. I can't believe that make-over you all did. It looks awesome. I loved reading about the "history" of the van and the fact that you rode in it to your wedding!!! Good luck and next time we are in Vernal I will have to hunt the Triple Scoops van down!!!

Kelli said...

That is the best looking ice cream van ever. I love it, you all did a great job.

Janice {Run Far} said...

Ok first of all, I have to say, I am so not surprsied to see you doing something like this and for the Van to turn out so amazing.

Now.... Oh my freaking gosh. I love it. You guys worked your butts off. What a job. I love that there is so much history with the van. I love that you named it TRIPLE for the boys, and I love that the money will go to them. I wish I had your drive and determination. You always seem to amaze me more and more.
I love ya.

Chauntue Peterson said...

Thank is so cool Rhett saw it going around the neighborhood the other day when he was at MaCurdy's house getting apples. That is way cute. Hey u could probably do like hot cocoa and donuts in the winter. lol good for u i miss u

Wish upon a Starr said...

That is so stinking cool!! And way to have a "dream" and really doing it. I love it!! You should hit Robin Wood Lane. (500 W. 1100 S) My moms neighborhood. you should do good in there.

Mindy said...

I can't believe how amazing you are!! I would think of a project like that and laugh it off, or cry the whole time I was doing it... you pulled it off amazingly! You ROCK! Love it!

Hope said...

that. is. freakin'. incredible.

seriously, I'm way impressed! Good luck with it! Ice cream trucks are such a staple in anyone's childhood memory! :)

Aaron and Megan said...

Mandy-I love it! You are so creative. I love you guys and miss you. Tell the family "HI"
Love ya, Connie O'Hara

Michele and Wyatt said...

You are amazing! The van looks great. I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of the ice cream truck. My kids hear it and come in begging for money. Maybe now that i know it's you I will have to let them buy a treat someday. Good luck. I hope it goes well.

Unknown said...

You guys did an incredible job! Leave it to you and it will get done. Next time you're in my neighborhood (North Sacramento area) turn the music on REALLY REALLY loud!

The Laris Legacy said...

mandy- my kids dream is to have the ice cream truck come to our house we saw it front of your house last week it is so freakin cute call me if you are ever in maeser!! 790-3952 thanks

ashley

The Galley's said...

That is pretty awesome. I thought you just bought one from somebody but this story is even better. Now we just need to make it to Vernal sometime in the summer so we can give it a try.

AuntEmmy said...

That is so awesome! You are one of the coolest people I know. I love, love, love the ice cream van.
Emily

Nate said...

I can't believe this. We were totally right behind you guys the other night on 5th south and didn't even know it was you! My wife said "why don't they ever come to our neighborhood?" So now you have to, 390 W 2100 S. Seriously, Sunburst Terrace has tons of families with little kids. It would be great territory for you guys.

4Battyz said...

Mandy i always knew you were amazing but holy cow this is freakin awesome!!!!!! Your guys hard work paid off big time that is probably the CUTEST van i have ever seen!!! Please feel free to come up to maeser sometime on 1000 north and bryson would love to buy some ice cream!!!