Friday, April 15, 2011

the one about southpaws

The other morning on 2News, they gave this fun and useless random fact, "Right-handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed people." I posted it on FaceBook and got a good laugh about it, but then really got me thinking.... I started doing a little research and decided it was all blog-worthy. We live in a right-handed world. For 89% of the World's population, that is fantastic. But for the other 11%, it is really kind of sad. I am a leftie. I tell people all of the time about the differences and challenges we lefties face. They are usually quite surprised at how many things cater to right-handed people. Things that really are no big deal and generally only noticed by left-handed people.

Here are a few facts... Most of these things come from the Internet.

First of all, Hand orientation is developed in fetuses, most commonly determined by observing which hand is predominantly held close to the mouth. Right-handed tools can be difficult or uncomfortable to use for people who are left-handed. For example, (right-handed) scissors are arranged so that the line being cut along can be seen by a right-handed user, but is obscured to a left-handed user. Furthermore, the handles are often molded in a way that is difficult for a left-hander to hold, and extensive use in such cases can lead to varying levels of discomfort. So-called "ambidextrous" scissors will mold the handles to be the same shape, but will not reverse the position of the blades. Most importantly, the scissoring or shearing action - how the blades work together (how they are attached at the pivot) - operates correctly for a right-hander, but a left-hander will tend to force the blades apart rather than shearing the target substance. Left-handed scissors require inverting both the handles and the blades if the left-handed user is to fully see the progress of the cut. Right-handed scissors place the thumb's blade on the left side, while left-handed scissors have this on the right side. This ensures the left hand's motion draws the blades together while cutting, ensuring a cleaner cut.

(Wow! that was a whole lot of boring nonsense about scissors! Sorry about that!)

The vast majority of firearms are designed for right-handed shooters, with the operating handle, magazine release, and/or safety mechanisms set up for manipulation by the right hand, and fired cartridge cases ejected to the right.

(Firearms and dexterity do not really a pose huge problem for me, fortunately.)

Power tools, machinery and other potentially dangerous equipment is typically manufactured with the right-handed user in mind. Common problems faced by left-handed operators include the inability to keep materials steady, and difficulty reaching the on/off switch, especially in emergency situations. Handheld circular saws are made almost exclusively for right-handers, with the motor and grip on the right side. If held in the left hand, it is impossible for the operator to see what they are cutting.

(Again, not a huge stresser for me!)

Here are a few that really apply to me... Regular old handwriting is difficult for a leftie because as you write, you drag your hand right through whatever you just wrote. I seldom use a pencil because it gets lead all over my hand and makes a big mess. I also have to check pens for quick drying ink. Fountain pens are a no-no because they are designed to only allow the ink to flow when dragged across the paper from left to right, not pushed across, like what would happen with a left-handed writer. Also concerning handwriting, many lefties hold their pencil all weird, like this guy. Not me. I hold mine normal, like this.

School desks are designed for a right-hander. Think about that... See. Backwards for me! Here is a typical school desk that would be comfortable for 89% of you.

Alot of research says that left-handedness is hereditary. However, nobody in my family is left-handed. Just me. There is a lot to be said about the whole "Left-brained people are right-handed, Right-brained people are left-handed" theory. Well the characteristics could not be more accurate when it comes to Brett, Quayd and I. They are both VERY left-brained and both right-handed. I, on the other hand, am VERY right-brained! Anybody that knows me would surely agree. By the way, I am completely and totally left-handed. I have NO dexterity in my right hand.

Knives... the blade is backward. see... You know how people peel potatoes with a knife, using their thumb for leverage? Well, I can't do that because the blade is backward. If I tried it, I could end up like this. (HaHaHa!! Funny picture, huh?!?!)

Advertisers should really pay attention to this one... When a right-handed person holds a pen or pencil with a logo or other message on it, you can clearly see what it says. Like this. However, when a leftie holds it... It appears upside down. Really, try it!

Other items which could prove to be inconvenient for left-handers include cameras, can openers, potato peelers, corkscrews, rulers, computer mice and keyboards, watches, checkbooks, spiral notebooks, fishing reels, boomerangs, measuring cups and pencil sharpeners. Also, I have noticed that at banks or stores when a pen is attached to a tablet, it is generally on the wrong side for me. Like the ATM/Debit things at grocery stores. They are usually tilted to be more comfortable for righties, and the cord connecting the pen is sometimes to short because it is placed on the right side. (I really notice this at Smith's Pharmacy!)

The Vanishing-twin theory used to be what researchers believed was the reason for a person to be left-handed. This theory postulates that left-handed individuals were originally part of an identical twin pair, with the right-handed twin fetus failing to develop early in development. The theory has however been debunked by researchers.

Now seriously, I am really not to worried about the whole "righties live longer than lefties" thing. When it is my time, I will go. If its so happens to be 9 years earlier than most people my age... Oh well! And I really don't get to upset about any of these things. I just think it is kind of interesting. And it sure felt good to share with 89% of my readers all of the things that only me and the other 11% knew. I actually love being left-handed. It is kind of quirky and different and I totally wouldn't change if I had the choice.

If being left handed is wrong, I don't want to be right!!!
Photobucket

1 comment:

Nate said...

Here's another tidbit for you. About half of all Fencing champions are lefties! Because of the sideways stance used in fencing the main target area (the front of the torso) usually faces your opponents right. But lefties switch that around and mess up all the attack angles. The result is that when someone faces off against a leftie it throws them off of their game. The really funny thing is to see two lefties go at it. Then they both get a dose of their own medicine. Bet you didn't know I was a fencing geek huh?!

Nate
Co-President/Dictator-for-life of the USU fencing club.