Tuesday, March 23, 2010

the one about my freaky rash

I'm not sure what this is all about, but I got the weirdest rash in the WORLD!

Brett and I started going to the tanning bed 1 week ago to get ready for our vacation next month. (We are going on a Mexican Riviera Cruise April 25th - May 2nd!!!) I have not been able to tan for years because of the medicine I was on for my heart. Since I went off my medicine in January, I just assumed I would be able to tan like I did when I was a kid. I have started VERY slow! The first 2 times I went was only for 6 minutes. I did get the tanning bed itches that come standard with your first couple of visits to the bed. I only went every other day and by the third time, I upped it to 7 minutes. I got a little toasty and even more itchy so we took it back down to 6 when I went last evening. My back had really been bugging me so I left my shirt on and made sure my back, belly and boobs were totally covered, since they have been itching so bad. I even adopted a spatula that I carry around and I so affectionately call "Scratchula." As soon as I got out of the tanning bed, I knew something wasn't right. Brett and I got in the car and I was about to go crazy with itch. I took my bra off first thing and it was just getting worse and worse. We got home and I took my top off. I had Brett rub lotion on it and it would help for a second, but it just kept getting worse. It started breaking out in hives and wherever I would scratch, it was looking like it might bleed. By about 8:30 I was in tears because it was so bad. The hives/welts were huge and covering my whole back!!! I showered, Brett ran to the store for cortisone cream and I started popping benadryl. NOTHING. I tried EVERYTHING! By 11:30 I couldn't take it anymore, so I took myself to the ER. They got me into a room pretty quickly and started me on several pills. Steroids, something like a benadryl but much stronger and something else. They said it should start to improve within 20-30 minutes. By this time, the rash and hives were spreading to my legs. Well, they monitored me for about an hour and nothing was changing so they came in with some shots. I don't know what or how many but I told them I didn't care if it was battery acid and dog crap, if it would help, I would take it! After another hour, it was still really bad but I felt like it was getting a little better. They told me there was nothing else they could try and that they had given me the max dose on everything. They sent me home with a prescription for a week worth of steroids and 3 other things. Today was much better, but I am still very red and itchy. It is just making me feel like crap. I didn't want to broadcast my back fat on the Internet, so I just took a picture of my legs. This is looking about 100 times better. There is little to no swelling, just lots of red dots.


I think we finally decided that 7 1/2 years of heart medicine messed with my blood and skin and that it is probably not in my Best interest to tan. I guess it is either pasty white, or tan in a bottle for me. :( By the way, Brett has the nicest tan and he looks so good!!! I am going to be the ghost woman on our cruise ship. I am so white I am nearly translucent.

Just as I was leaving the hospital last night, the Doc started to say something about the dangers involved with tanning and sun exposure. I just looked at him and said, "Seriously, look at me.... I don't need a lecture about tanning beds!!!"
Photobucket

8 comments:

galleygrapevine said...

well, that sucks!!! I guess it is spray tan for you.

Kandice said...

Hehe. That just plain sucks. I heard the spray tans are quite nice!

Hope said...

if it's any consolation, I NEVER EVER tan, even using tanning beds. I am three colors - white (near gray, really), pink, or red. We can be pasty white together.

-Amy- said...

I am sorry:( That looks painful!! Just think, your skin will look amazing when your 70 years old and all of us who have tanned all these years will look like wrinkled old bag ladies!haha

Anonymous said...

I hope you get feeling better soon. I'm also a self-tanner. My favorite is called "St. Tropez" or "St. Moriz" (St. Moriz is the cheaper copy-cat version... it's just as good). You can see a different the minute you put it on and doesn't turn you orange. Have fun on your trip!!

Janice {Run Far} said...

Holy crap. I am ithcing just reading this. Those bumps look terrible.

Josh and Kristen said...

I hope you are feeling better, and I can't stop laughing about "battery acid and dog crap" hahaha!

ALL ABOUT US said...

i cant help but laugh you wont be pasty white on our cruise we will do the tan in the bottle for you!!