Wednesday, March 17, 2010

the one about SENDING someone to jail

How ironic that my last post was about spending the night in jail, and after the events of today, I think I am responsible for SENDING someone there. Maybe not jail, but detention anyway. And I guess I am not really responsible since I didn't commit the crime, but.. well... How about I just get to the story?

It was 5:00 and I was just getting ready to close the store where I work. Danette was there helping me close and Brayden, Quayd and Amelia were there because we were getting ready to go to the Rec. Center for a St. Patty's day activity. I had my back to the back door and Danette was facing me so she could see out the back window. All of a sudden she yells, "Those boys just got something out of your car!" Right then I heard my car door slam and I turned around and saw two teenage boys walking away from my car, and they had something with them. I ran right out the back door and started chasing them.

(If you aren't familiar with where I live, I am sorry for the names of businesses and all of the confusion. For those of you who are familiar, this part will help you visualize it all.)

I spotted them behind Curves and I could see they had something.... I couldn't see very well until they turned around when they thought they were being followed. I knew exactly what it was.... MY PURSE!!! I started screaming at them to drop my purse!! (I added a few extra words in there though that I will not repeat... your welcome Grandma Galley!) I was running after them and they crossed Vernal Avenue to the parking lot behind Gale's Office Supply. I made it to Wells Fargo and knew I would never catch them. I didn't have my phone with me so I turned around and ran back to work to get my car, my phone, or something!!! I didn't really know what I was going to do. Before I turned around though, they were getting to that weird little alley way behind Mr.S and The Sage Motel. I got back to the shop and Danette was just getting in her car and yelled for me to get it. We took off towards them, and I called dispatch. We figured they were gonna come out somewhere by the Catholic Church, so we headed that way. Sure enough, we ran right into them. I was on the phone with a very nice man and I was able to tell him a very good description and exact location of me and the kids. He got an officer on the way and we didn't let the two kids out of our sight. We didn't want them to think we were following them though, or we knew they would run. I couldn't see my purse anymore, so I am guessing they ditched it somewhere. Anyway, we followed them to the North Office building of the hospital and they walked into the north entrance. I was still on the phone with dispatch and he advised me to stay outside and wait for an officer. Danette hopped out of the car and ran in after them. They were way fast, and they went up the stairs. When she got to the bottom of the stairs, she heard the door shut upstairs. She was worried that they would walk through to the hospital and get away and we would never see them again. So she came back out, got in her car and drove around to the other entrance/exits of the hospital to watch for them. By then, 3 officers had shown up. They asked me for a description and they all took off into the building. I had called Brett and he showed up so he headed in the building too. Danette came back around and said that she had not seen them come out yet and pretty quick, here came the 2 kids in handcuffs!! Yay! They sat them down outside the building and started asking everyone questions. The kids were so mouthy, disrespectful and RUDE! I feel so sorry for them! How sad that they are starting a life of crime at ages 15 and 17. They were saying awful things to Danette and I and calling us liars. Of course, the cops totally believed us but it was still kind of hard to sit through. They searched them and they had nothing of mine. I had $60 cash in my purse, a $25 Maurice's gift card, a debit card (yes, I cancelled it already!) and just other typical odds and ends that we all carry in our purses. I don't know if I will ever get it back. Really, it all could have been much worse. Pretty much everything in my purse is replaceable. It was a new purse, and I loved it!!!! But it was just a purse.

The kids were taken away and will probably get nothing but a slap on the hand. I hope they can learn from it all. I am really not all that mad at the boys, I just feel kind of violated. I can't begin to express my gratitude for my Sister-In-law and her quick thinking, for my husband and Cory who were ready to fight the little punks! And for my brother and Brayden and Quayd who spent ALL NIGHT searching the dark alley ways, bushes, trash cans, dumpsters and everywhere else we could think of to look for my purse. Also to the officers who responded so quickly and who could have NOT done a better job!!! And of course to John at dispatch who helped keep me calm and who got everything set up to find the little punks.

It all could have been SO much worse!!! Tonight, I am home safe with my husband, my beautiful son and our pets. Really, that is all that matters. Nobody is hurt, just a little shaken up.

Crazy.

Photobucket

8 comments:

Cara said...

gIRL, I am so sorry this happened to you! I am also sad about you losing your purse, but it was just a purse thank heavens you werent hurt by the PUNKS!! In due time they will get whats coming to them...

Hope said...

I know what you mean about feeling violated. Our car was stolen once and then about 3 weeks later recovered, and even though there was no permanent damage, I cried the first time I had to drive it again because I just wanted a different car--it didn't feel the same. Sorry you endured such a crappy experience!

Anonymous said...

Holy crap, thats crazy! We think "o we live in a small town nothing will happen." We all leave our cars and houses unlocked... scary! When I was 18 I got my purse stolen out of a car too! It was horrible. I know how you feel! Give it a month and it will be like nothing happened. I had a brand new purse too (must be bad luck)! My camera was in mine, so that really sucked. The people who stole it also managed to charge like $2000 worth of stuff at the nearest walmart on my credit card all in a matter of about 20 minutes, it was a mess!

Kandice said...

How crazy. What little creeps...but so sad too that they are that brazen so young. I wish you could have found it though. I would have LOVED watching you chase after them and speak your mind....even thought it was a sucky situation, I had to let my mind visualize it!~ :)

Alison said...

Man that suuucks! It's scary when you realize our town isn't as safe as we sometimes think it is.

Glad they caught the little jerks. Wish it had turned out with you getting your purse back!

And I wish I would've been working!! :)

Whit said...

What a crummy feeling, I had my purse stolen at Temple Square! It's a horrible feeling. Sad that those boys are already down a really hard path. I'm glad it all worked out though...and you even got your purse back. I ended up getting mine back like 7 months later some random person mailed it to my parents house in Nebraska. Weird huh!

Janice {Run Far} said...

Holy smokes. I hate it when that kind of shit happens. UGh. I am so annoyed that you didn't get yout purse back either. What a couple of little punks. I am sure they didn't learn.... it will take them spending the night in jail before they learn. UGH. Sorry you had to go through that. Did you have bad dreams about it last night? I would have. You better lock your damn doors girlie. Or were they locked? What little snots.

Josh and Kristen said...

Holy Crap! I am so glad that they were able to catch them, and I saw on fb that they found your purse! Post when you get it back from the police! I had to come check your blog for details! We had someone break into our cars and look through the glove boxes once. There was nothing for them to take, but I TOTALLY understand feeling so violated. I am happy that everything turned out the way it did and hope nothing like that happens to you again!!!