Wednesday, November 5, 2008

the one about our crazy halloween weekend

Geez... I am FINALLY getting to our crazy Halloween weekend. We have had such a wild weekend, and even though its Wednesday already, I am still trying to recover!! Let me start with Halloween. As you all probably already know, Tara and I were Wayne and Garth from Wayne's World for Halloween. We had SO much fun at work that day. I don't think we ever really stopped laughing. Our costume was a hit and I am so glad I have a crazy friend like Tara that would encourage me to dress up. I was hesitant at first, but now I am glad we did it. Our front desk is on camera 24/7. At anytime, out corporate office can tune in and see what we are doing. Our GM had already sent pictures of our costumes to the office, but just after lunch time, some of our owners turned on our camera and called us, laughing hysterically. So we turned and faced the camera and put on a show!! We did the "We're Not Worthy" thing. It was super funny.

So, now on the the REAL reason for Halloween.... My little Pirate. Doesn't he look so cute?!?! He is getting SO BIG!!! I am pretty proud of his costume. I made it. He had a fun time! We started Trick-Or-Treating around 4:00, our first stop at Ga and Pop's. Ga had been really sick (long story... I'll get to that in a minute) so we went to her house early so she could get to bed. We decided to skip out on our ward's trunk or treat this year, so we didn't feel so rushed. It was so nice!!! We got all of our trick or treating done, ate dinner and were in bed by 8:30. Quayd got tons of candy! He was thrilled, and so were we.

On Friday afternoon while I was pretending to work, Brett called me at the hotel and said he thought we should go to Salt Lake for the weekend. He has been dying to go to this. I called around and was able to get us a cheap room at a Holiday Inn Express, thanks to my employee discount. I talked to Gleneita to see if she would like to go, and she was all in. We decided to leave around 9 or 10 am Saturday. We seriously had no plan. We were just excited to get out of town.

Around 11:00 that night, Pop called me. Remember I told you that Ga had been really sick? We had all been trying to get her to go to the Doctor for a few days, but she wouldn't. She is so stubborn sometimes. She had been throwing up for days. She is diabetic, so her sugar was all out of whack. Anyway, Pop was all upset because he knew she needed to go to the hospital, but he knew he needed help getting her there. Of course, I went right over. It was pretty tough, but we finally convinced her that she needed to go. We got her loaded in the car and went straight for the ER. We were there for quite awhile and they finally decided that she had a bowel obstruction. They ran a million tests. They had finally decided around 3:00 am that they would wait and see if it would un-kink itself or if they would need to do surgery. Pop and I came home and he was just a wreck. I have only seen him that emotional a couple of times in my life. It broke my heart. The next morning, things were looking good, and we decided to go ahead and go to SLC. We stopped by the hospital said good bye and headed out of town.

We went to our hotel first then straight to the Body Worlds exhibit. It was SO COOL, by the way. Quayd even liked it. He got a little bored by the end of it, but he did really well. While you are waiting in line to see the exhibit, they have this skeleton projected on the wall. You can send a text message to a local number and it puts your message up on the wall by the skeleton.It makes it look like the skeleton is saying it. Quayd was fascinated with it and had been reading every word, so Brett sent it a text message. It said, "Everyone loves Quayd" Quayd couldn't believe that his name was up on the wall. Of course he didn't know that we probably just spent his college fund to get it there, but we didn't care. He kept watching and watching. Since our first picture didn't turn out and since he was so excited about it, Brett sent another message. Quayd finally figured out that it was a text message, but he still thought it was pretty cool.

After Body Worlds, we decided to go to the mall to eat and wander around, then the Clark Planetarium to watch a show of some kind. We decided to watch a 3-D movie. It was SO COOL!
When we got out of the movie, Brett's cell phone started to ring. It was my mom telling us that they had decided to fly Ga to Salt Lake for surgery. It was so weird. My Uncle Kim, Cousin Brooke and her hubby live in Salt Lake, so they were at the hospital waiting and my brother, Danette, Brayden and Pop were on the way. Brett and I dropped Quayd and Gleneita off at the hotel and headed to the hospital. We got to go right back and see her. They began to prep her for surgery and we got to say good bye real quick, then they wheeled her back for surgery. They had prepared us for lots of things, but I won't bore you with that. It all turned out great. The Doctor told us that it was best case scenario. A portion of her bowel had died but they were able to remove it and stitch the ends together. It went perfectly. They had to keep her on the ventilator for a couple of days, but now she is off that and breathing on her own. She has even been able to eat and poop. Great news! She will probably be able to come home in a day or two. She is really weak, which is totally understandable, but she will get better and better. She is tough.

We came home to EXTREME fall. It was stormy and yucky while we were gone and it hasn't gotten much better. It even snowed last night. I will finish with some cute pictures of Quayd and Brennen enjoying one of their last jumps on the trampoline of the season. The worked so hard to get all of the leaves on it then they jumped until it was dark. Which happens pretty quickly now, since daylight savings.

10 comments:

Leisa said...

I'm glad your grandma is doing better. Didn't you love Body Works? We took our kids a couple of weeks ago to it. They were so fascinated by it.
Cute costumes!!

galleygrapevine said...

I'm glad that you didn't wimp out on me. The costumes were great and it was way fun!
I'm glad Ga is doing better now. It was funny to hear her "drug induced" hallucinations. My kids loved that they were a part of them. LOL

Kelli said...

your costumes were great. Glad she is doing well after surgery. I was scared all through that post.

Tara L. said...

Hi Mandy, Hey, we made our blog private. If you would like an invite, send me an email ok. tspendlove@hotmail.com

Unknown said...

your costumes were great! Quayd looks so cute! What a scary and fun weekend! I'm glad your grandma is ok. The exact same thing happened to my grandma.

Jenzette said...

Love the costumes!!! Quayd is a great pirate, you did such a good job on his costume. I was excited to see that you went to the exhibit in S.L--I want to go but can't convince my family. So glad to here that your grandma is doing well.

Cara said...

I have wanted to go see that! Clint would just hate it though. I am glad to hear that Ga is doing better! She is such a great lady!

Janice {Run Far} said...

I miss Ga.. tell her I am thinking about her and that Ihope she feels better soon.

Miss you too by the way.

Michele and Wyatt said...

I loved your Halloween costume. Kamryn did too. You both looked great. Hope your grandma gets feeling better.

Ramanda said...

You make an excellent Garth! Your lip thingy is perfect!!! Way to go on Quayd's costume! That's why they call ya crafty Mandy!!!

It was a good thing that you guys were out in Salt Lake to you could be there for your grandma. What an ordeal, poor woman! I hope she is recovering quickly!