Sunday, June 15, 2008

the one about Father's Day

Kind of a strange feeling around my house today. Don't get me wrong, Father's Day was fun and great and I think Brett had a good day. But we definitely noticed the absence of one very important and special father. Mike. It is strange to think that we are approaching the 1 year mark since his death last August. And even closer to the 1 year mark of when we last saw him alive.

Strange story... Mike had a million and two health problems. And weird problems too! We still joke that if it could happen, it would happen to Mike. Anyway, he was on several medications for several different things and was pretty much confined to a wheelchair. He was a veteran and he was able to go to a type of rehabilitation center in Florida to adjust medications and get him adjusted to life in a wheelchair. He flew out early on July 24th. So on the 23rd, Brett, Quayd and I, Talia, Mike and Gleneita (I think that was all that went) went to dinner and spent some quality time together. When we said good-bye to him that night, that was it. That was our good-bye. It is so weird, but that night when we drove away from their house, Brett said to me, "That is the last time we will see my dad alive. He's not coming home." I totally brushed it off and thought he was totally weird, but he knew. Also, looking back, Mike was so insistent that he see everyone and tell everyone good-bye. It was so important to him. Isn't that crazy? He knew, without really knowing, you know? I miss him.

It was our ward's Father/Son camp out on Friday night and Brett always took Mike and Quayd, so it was a little difficult for him this year. These are scrapbook pages from the camp out 3 years ago.

This picture is from the last time we went to Hidden Springs Lodge. Just thought I'd throw it in here. (Brett, Randy and Mike playing cards.)

My dad lives so far away and even though I hate it, we just aren't super close. Throughout my 30 years, he has lived far away longer than he hasn't. As sad as it seems, it is just the normal now. We talk occasionally, but he has his life and I have mine. It is kind of a tough thing for me to talk about, so I don't very often. I love my dad though and I miss him too!

With the shortage of Dads here, we also realize just how blessed we are to have the amazing Grandpas that we do! Last night we got to spend some time with Grandpa Lane to celebrate his Birthday and Father's Day. We had a pizza party at his house. I couldn't pass up this great photo opportunity.

This morning, we got to be with my Grandpa for breakfast on his patio. My mom and I cooked, and my Grandparents provided the space! Brandon, Danette and the boys were there too. It was fun.

It was such a hot beautiful day today, that we couldn't pass up the invitation from Brayden and Brennen to swim in their sweet pool! Talia also invited us to go swim at the lake, but we thought the pool sounded much nicer. So she came here instead. Then we made Gleneita get out of the house and come hang with us. She brought lunch too, which was great!
So speaking of swimming, My son is a fish. Just so you know. He has always loved to swim! He has taken swimming lessons, but has never really caught on to swimming without a life jacket. And he hasn't really cared! He got a new life jacket this summer and when we were at the lodge last week, it really rubbed him and made sores all over. It was pretty sad. So today when we were getting our swim suits on, he said, "I don't want to swim with my life jacket anymore. I think I will learn to swim today." And you know what??? HE DID!!!!! Once he had it in his mind that he could do it, he did it with no trouble at all. Can you believe that? He was jumping off the side and swimming to the other side and everything. I am just amazed.

Well, I hope Brett had as nice of a day as I did. It was very laid back and relaxing. Quayd and I got him a golf pass and I am sure he will put it to good use! I am so thankful for Brett and the great dad that he is. He is so cute with Quayd and I love seeing them together. Brett is teaching Quayd to be a good man, just like he is. When I am with the two of them, I feel so safe and loved. They respect and love me so much, and I feel the very same about them. I am so glad I was able to give Brett his beautiful son and give the Grandpas and Great-Grandpas thier Grandson. I am so thankful for the wonderful men in my life!!!!

Happy Father's Day!

1 comment:

Janice {Run Far} said...

Awww... Happy (Late) Father day Brett!

P.S Quayd looks so big in those pictures with your G-Pa