Sunday, June 15, 2008

the one about road construction and rabbits

ERRRRRRRRRRRR!!! I am so mad at my stupid road construction bull crap!

First of all, it has taken SO much longer than they said and they keep changing plans and trying to jip us. My house is so dusty because of all of the mess. They shut my water off at weird times without telling me. I hate having to pick up my mail at the post office. And whenever it looks like they are making some progress, they are digging something else up again. One step forward, two steps back. I am so bugged. I swear everytime I look outside they are just sitting on their butts. GET TO WORK!

Well, you think that is bad??? Get this.... One of the idiots brings his two big dogs to work everyday. They just wander the neighborhood and it is totally annoying. Well, as if the dog crap on my lawn wasn't enough.... the damn things got into my rabbit pen and killed one of the rabbits on Thursday!!!!!!! Can you believe that!?!?!?!?!?!? Thank goodness Brayden walked by when he did, or I am sure they would have gotten the other two also. I wasn't home when it all happened, but my Grandparents were and they marched right out there and told the guy all about it. He felt terrible. Like, REALLY TERRIBLE! He offered to replace it or give money or something, and my Grandma gave him an earful about how you can't just "replace" a pet. Well, a few hours later, he showed up on my door step with another rabbit. It was a nice gesture, and we appreciated it a lot, but if it were up to me, I probably wouldn't have replaced it. Not to be rude. But we all know how quickly rabbits reproduce. And we have been very lucky so far. We have had these three rabbits for a year now and have not had one baby. That is a good thing! Well, we don't know for sure if we have all males, females or if things don't work right, because trust me! They all have the "motions" down. They all give each other "piggy-backs" (as Quayd calls it) all the time! Well, our big rabbit has really taken a liking to the new rabbit. It is NON STOP! And I am embarassed to say this, but it is hard to look away when it is happening. It's like a bad train wreck. You know you should look away, and you want too, but you just can't!

I thought I should pay tribute to the deceased and show off the survivors. I guess I should tell a little bit about them. Rabbit #1, Tuffy, came to us last summer at the Kids Rodeo. Quayd caught it and brought it home. I was out of town with Janice and I got a phone call that we were the proud owners of a rabbit. Brett and Quayd were so proud of themselves. I, on the otherhand, was not impressed. Well, of course, I fell in love with him! He is adorable and so much fun. Well Brayden and Brennen wanted in on the action and we hated for Tuffy to be all alone. My mom had some friends who had baby rabbits they were giving away. We took the boys and let them choose one to keep in our pen. They are supposed to help us take care of them, but honestly, Quayd does all of the work!!! Except poop clean up. That is Brett and I. The bunnies are fun though and we love them. We are all so attached to them. Even my Grandparents love them. We sit out in front of the pen and just watch them for hours. (Train Wreck! Train Wreck! Piggy-Back! Train Wreck!) Last August, the boys entered them in the county fair. They all won blue ribbons. It was actually Brennen's rabbit who was killed. Here is Quayd with Tuffy (at the fair).

Brayden and Digga. (the smaller, mostly white one. the other one is Tuffy again.)

Brennen with the late Shiney.

So, here is the replacement rabbit, Charlie. (And it is actually WAY cuter than the dead one! Shiney was for sure the homliest of our three rabbits!) And here it is, post-piggy back with Tuffy.


Anyway, the gestation period for rabbits is 31 days, so mark your calendars.

4 comments:

Kelli said...

Quade looks so proud infront of his rabbit cage. I am not even going to go to the train wrek/bunny issues. hehe

Megan said...

That is so funny Mandy. We've had a similar experience with our chickens. Sometimes they fight and I have to get the broom out!

Megan said...

By the way... I feel for you about the road construction. That has lasted forever! My entire routine is now an entirly new routine! Good Luck!

Brynn said...

Mandy,

I'm not a blog stalker or anything I swear! But, I found your blog a while ago and now I read it all the time. You are so hilarious and I love to read your awesome stories. It always makes my day! You and Brett have such a cute family and I just wanted to say thanks for letting me stop by and smile!
:)Brynn Lemon Haskell
P.S. I have a neutered male cat that loves to give the blankets/rugs in my house "piggyback rides". It's pretty freakin funny :)