Sunday, May 25, 2008

the one about Memorial Day

We have been a little stressed lately because we were promised and guaranteed that Mike's headstone would be set by Memorial Day. Memorial Day has been getting closer and closer and still no headstone. Really, we just wanted that final piece to pay tribute to the man that we love.

Finally on Thursday, it was set.

I think Brett and I were the first ones to see it, because it still looked fresh and nobody else had called Gleneita to tell her it was there. We rode the motorcycle up to the cemetery, and I have to say that it was a little harder to see it than I thought. Seeing his name (and Gleneita's!) etched in stone was kind of a shocker. It looks nice though and we are happy that we finally have something to look at besides a tiny marker. It is hard to tell in my picture, but the headstone had their marriage date, sealing date and the names of their four kids. Mike served in the Navy, so they provided a foot stone too.

Gleneita and I have spent several evenings together getting the flowers and plants just right for this weekend. We finally took them up on Friday night and everything looked great. We bought a cute pot with a frog and I got some nice stuff to fill it. We also got a small pine tree and planted it in a cool barrel planter. Quayd had chosen a dog with a solar light ball in it so it would glow at night. The cross was from Grandma Lane and the big arrangement from Mike's sister, Debbie. I think it all looks very nice.

We love you Papa!

3 comments:

Janice {Run Far} said...

Oh Mandy, the flowers and plants are beautiful. It all looks so great.

galleygrapevine said...

I will have to go and see the new stone when I get back. It looks very nice and the flowers are great! I'm glad that it was ready for MD!

Megan said...

That looks nice Mandy. I have been so sick that I haven't even made it up to our spots. Payton keeps telling me "Mom, can we please go put some flowers on Grandpa Dallas' grave tommorrow?" I pray Payton will always remember the time he spent with him. (it was alot) He was the best. Love ya girl! PS Do you get the summer off too?