Monday, September 29, 2008

the one about Brett's trip

So Brett finally made it home (a week ago.... sorry. I have been busy). Anyway, he and his buddy Todd were chosen to go to the National Fire Academy. It was a pretty big honor to be selected to go and they were super excited about it. The school part of it was 6 days, but they added a few days for sight seeing. They were supposed to be home last Sunday, but their flight was changed and they were not aware of it, so they missed it. They couldn't get another flight until the next day, so it was Monday night before they got home. I don't want to tell all about it because I will surely get details confused, so I just want to post a few pictures. If I can get Brett to sit down for a second and write all about it, I will post it. Because it was super interesting and cool. They went to a lot of the civil war battle fields and did the Washington D.C. thing. I teased him that he got to go with his BOY FRIEND on a big NERD tour. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE America and our awesome history, I just know I would have gotten very bored with all of that stuff. Especially the civil war stuff. Sorry. I don't love history. Don't judge me. Anyway, one of MY favorite parts of his trip was the memorial at the Pentagon. It had only been dedicated for a few days when they got there.
There were one of these bench-looking things for each person who was killed at the Pentagon on 9/11. the ones facing one direction were for the victims on the plane and the others for the victims killed in the Pentagon at the time of the attack. Kinda cool.

Their school was really cool too. They had this awesome memorial in remembrance of 9/11. It's HUGE!
The Fallen Firefighter Memorial
This is at the graduation ceremony. Doesn't Brett look so handsome?
They had a good time and I am glad Brett got to go. I am super proud of him and for all of his dedication to the Fire Department. He is so smart and I know he takes this stuff very serious. Good job Brett!!!! I am so proud of you!

Here are just a few more pictures of some fun stuff they did while on their NERD tour.


WHAT?!?!?! HOOTERS?!?!? I am sure they only went there for the amazing hot wings. ;)

4 comments:

Kandice said...

He does look very handsome and very professional in his outfit at the graduation. Way to go Brett!!! I wish I could have gone. My life is so boring!

Peg said...

Hot wings my foot. No Im just kidding. Im sure it was for the wings.Looks like he got to see some cool stuff. Im jealous. I would love to see that country back there.

Megan said...

Geez girl, I should have gone with your husband and you could have subbed for my class. I have always wanted to go to DC... I am a history nerd also!

houseofgirlsandjohn said...

hey mandy i found you on the WWW it was fun to read through a little on your blog. We have been to D.C. a few times since my husband is from NC and I have to agree it does get a little boring. Not my number one place to vaction!!!