Monday, September 8, 2008

the one about Quayd's 6th Birthday

I feel like the most terrible mother in the world because I haven't blogged about Quayd's Birthday yet. It was a great day, but I have just been super busy lately. Oh, who am I kidding. It was a terrible day, but we made the best of it. Quayd's Birthday happened to be the same day as my Great-Grandma's funeral. Luckily, I had planned his Birthday party for the day before. But unluckily, the party was a total fiasco! Allow me to explain...

So, I had made arrangements for Quayd's party to be a swimming party at the Rec. Center. He loves swimming there and that is what he wanted to do. I booked and paid for the thing clear back in June. Well about two weeks before the party, I was making the invitations (which turned out ADORABLE, by the way) and decided I better double check on the time and make sure everything was still good to go.


They assured me that everything was fine. I finished up the invites and we delivered them. Quayd and I worked so hard creating, finding addresses, delivering and spreading the word to all of his friends. So, as I mentioned before, my Great Grandma passed away the day before the party, and her funeral was the day after the party and on his actual Birthday. Not only that, but the day of the party was the one year anniversary of the passing of Brett's dad. I was working EXTRA hard to make his party be NORMAL and to focus only on Quayd! It wasn't hard, because he is such a great kid and he was SO UNDERSTANDING, considering the circumstances. Anyway, we got to the Rec. Center about 25 minutes early. Brayden, Brennen, Amelia, and Kasen rode with us. They were so excited! They helped me get everything inside and we got everything loaded in the party room. Kids were starting to arrive and I noticed that nobody was in the pool. I asked our "party consultant" if we got the pool to ourselves or what. She was like, "I'm not sure. I will go check." Well, I walked back outside, leaving the kids in the room, and the lady stopped me at the front desk. She said, "Ummmm.... You do know that the pool is closed, right?" I just stared at her. I said, "Well, no. This is a swimming party and I booked it months ago, so no. Obviously I was not aware that the pool was closed." Well, our conversation goes on and basically, they changed the hours of the pool and nobody noticed that I had a party booked at that time. I even brought up how irritating it was that I had double checked just about 2 weeks earlier. She was very apologetic and they offered to do this big inflatable obstacle course in the gym, free of charge. (Yah, no duh. Free of charge!) They ended up refunding part of the cost and they did what they could to make it right. Even as MAD as I was at the time, I have to admit now that they handled it all pretty well. It was sucky and frustrating, but oh well. The kids LOVED the obstacle course. I even asked Quayd later what he thought of his party, and he thought it was wonderful. My biggest gripe is that I worked so hard making the invitations, cupcakes and party favors, which were fish themed. So it seemed stupid that they didn't go with the party. Yes, I know. I am a freak. But this is the hell that I live in. If you know me at all, you know how freaked out I get when things don't go exactly as planned. I try to be accommodating and relaxed, but I am just not. I notice that I get better with age, but I am still not perfect. I have to say this though. Thank goodness for Holly. She decided to come with her boys to the party and she stayed with me the whole time. I couldn't have made it without her. She visited with me and it totally calmed my nerves so I didn't have a complete meltdown during the ordeal. Let me share a few pictures.







When the party was over, and the parents were picking the kids up, Brett challenged GJ to a race on the obstacle course. It was so funny, and the kids LOVED watching.


Ok, enough of the party. Moving on.... So of course, we had a funeral on the morning of Quayd's Birthday, but for that night, I had made arrangements with my boss for us to be able to stay at the hotel. I thought it would be cool for Quayd to be able to invite a friend to stay, and of course, he wanted Brennen. Well, Brayden felt bad, so I let him come too. I went to the room early and decorated it. I put Quayd's gift in there and bought tons of treats.

We ordered Pizza for dinner, swam in the pool and watched movies. Quayd and Brayd slept in one bed, Brett and I in the other, and we made Brennen a bed on the floor.

They have a yummy breakfast every morning so we ate, showered and came home. Quayd and Brennen showered together and they had so much fun!!! We could hear them giggling clear down the hall!



It was really a pretty good Birthday, all things considered. I just can't believe that my baby is 6. I usually get so emotional around his Birthday. It brings back so many memories of the whole event. Getting him here was so difficult and I am reminded of the miracle every August 30th. He is such an amazing kid and I love him so much. I often wonder why I was chosen to be his mother. I can see so much potential in him and I know he will grow up to be AMAZING! I just hope I don't totally screw him up before he reaches his goals. He told Brett and I just today that when he gets a little bigger, he would like to play soccer in the Olympics. I hope he can. And I hope he never quits dreaming about it. I love you my little Quayd-er-ade!! Happy Birthday!!!

11 comments:

Chauntue Peterson said...

wow sounds like it was tons of fun arent you glad that we only have to do it once a year. i freek out over things also. I feel like it has to be perfect then after i think gee a few presents and a few friends and they would have been happy. Good job come and plan my parties.

galleygrapevine said...

That is why I don't have organized parties, I just can't deal with the stress. By the way, I think that you have posted about my kids more lately than I have.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your birthday party stuff was amazing - you are so talented!

Unknown said...

Oh my word what a day you had!!! Brinklee is still sad she didn't get to go. Thank goodness the kids had fun I would have been furious!!!!! We showed up to swim last week and 15 min. later they blew the whistle and said "pool closed" They need to post the new hours better. I am so sorry they did that to you!

Leisa said...

I wish I had your enthusiams for birthday parties. I dread them. I usually try to talk my kids into doing something else instead of a prtiy with friends. What a cop out! Your party looks like it was a success despite all the set back!!

Cara said...

You are such a great mommy to make sure that he had a wonderful birthday! You rock. Got any good ideas for a strawberry shortcake party? Heber will be 2 on the 15th and I wanna do something cute!

Megan said...

That sucks that the pool was closed. I will tell Payton for sure. He was so mad at me for not letting him go... sorry. Fridays are hard for me because I have to stay and make other arrangements for Payton...

He told me he had a fun party! He was satisfied!

Kelli said...

can you be my mom? my birthday is in April, ok? You are a great mom!

Kandice said...

hehe, he is so cute, and it all turned out perfectly despite the lack of planning on the flippin' rec center. You are a good mommy to your lucky little boy. That is a hilarious picture of G.J. He still has a "blow up obstacle course" burn on his elbow...

Michele and Wyatt said...

You are such an awesome mom! Derek had a great time at Quayd's party. And he loved the invitation too. I am amazed at how many kids you had there. You are really brave. And I think the hotel idea was so cute and original. I'm sure Quayd will remember his 6th birthday for along time.

AuntEmmy said...

Thanks for stopping by last night Mandy. I miss seeing you all the time!
Emily