Monday, February 25, 2008

the one about my mom's freaky wacked out foot

My poor Mom. She has had nothing but hell with her foot for several years now. She broke it awhile back but didn't realize it and didn't have insurance to go have it checked. She got arthritis and stuff in it, and to make a long story short, it eventually led to 3 ankle fusions, 2 toe fusions and 2 knee replacements, both right and left knee. (Yes, I realize she doesn't have 3 ankles, one ankle has had surgery to be fused 3 times.) As far as the toes go.... Um, sick. They put these terrible rods in her toes to straighten them out. She had her second toe done about a year or two ago, and her big beastie toe was fused last month when she had her third ankle fusion surgery. So get this.... her doctor sent her home with the X-Rays. You know you want to see them. There are several immages, but I chose my two favorites. This one is her messed up ankle that now has a metal plate and, what appears to be 10 screws. Sweet, huh. Now the next picture is a bit more creepy. It is an X-Ray of the toe fusion. K, when she had her toe fused a while back, they totally left that rod thing poking out the end. They cut it off and kind of bent it at the end so it wouldn't catch on stuff. Ummm, wrong-O! It actually created this hook that I am sure had some kind of magnetic force, because that thing hooked to EVERYTHING! She has this white afagan and she would get the dang thing caught in the yarn of it all the time. Ew. And she constantly had white hair from her dogs in it because the hook thing got caught in their tails. I was with her when she went to the Doctor in SLC to have the devil hook removed. We weren't quite sure how they removed it and we were both sorta nervous about it the whole trip out. Well, don't worry. There was no warning. They grabbed that sucker, cranked it around with pliers and jerked it out. Me, my mom and Quayd were just sitting there in shock. Then a wee drop of blood came out the end................ Like, I love gross stuff, but that was almost too much for me. Anyway, they didn't leave it hanging out this time.

My mom is in a cast right now for one more day. We hope. She goes out Wednesday and we think they will put her in a walking cast. She has been ripping and tearing at her cast so they will have to remove it for sure. That is her wishful thinking!

To my mom.... I am sorry mommy that you have had to endure so much with your freaky wacked out foot. You know I love you. I am sorry you got your feelings hurt last week.

To my readers.... As a clarification, on my 100 list, #167 "I have learned to be independent from my mommy." I meant that I am trying to be an independent woman and I have learned independence from my mom. I didn't mean that I feel like I don't need my mom anymore. My mom is a strong woman and one thing she always wanted me to learn is that I don't need someone else to make me happy. I control my own happiness. Therefore, I am trying to be independent. I have actually been hesitating if I should still blog or not. My last blog entry seems to have caused me much distress in my personal life and I have been wondering if it is worth it. I have decided that this is my blog. My journal, and I want to stick it out. Thank you to my faithful readers. I am sorry if the things I say upset you in any way.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ummm... I don't even know what to say! I'm speachless! Except that I do have to say I would cry if you stopped blogging. It makes my day when I visit your blog and see a new entry!

Jamie said...

That ia an awesome entry and You are a great daughter! Im so glad you are sticking to blogging with me!!

Janice {Run Far} said...

Dont stop that is all I have to say about that-

Julie my dear friend, that is just plain sad and gross.

Tari said...

yikes, i knew your moms foot and knees had problems but, yikes, double yikes. i can't believe they pulled that thing out with quadye sitting right there. what did he think about it?

i'm glad you still blogging, take it as a compliment people are still reading, no one ever says anything about mine, good or bad, but who cares i'm doing it for me and my kids. i want a record of my life.

Kelli said...

Dont stop blogging. I love your blog, I love your layout. I love your colors. I love you! Take care