Thursday, February 14, 2008

the one about Valentine's Day

So I totally love holidays. LOVE LOVE LOVE them. But oddly, I am not the Valentine's super fan. The first couple of years I was married, I was kind of disapointed that Brett didn't do something wonderful for me. I always did BIG stuff for him and didn't really get much (or anything) in return. It always caused a big fight and I ended up with a broken heart. I finally realized that I married Brett. I married him because I love him. I love so many things about him and he is such a good guy that I am not going to be bummed about the things he is "not." So I have been trying to be better about controling my fellings about this stuff. He does his best though, and occasionally, he surprises me. This Valentine's Day, I was definately surprised! Let me start from the beginning...

Brett is not romantic at all. Like, really. Not even a little bit. I was giving him a hard time about a week ago about how I do all of the cooking and then I do all of the dishes. I was telling him that it was about his turn. So he told me that he would cook for me on Valentine's Day. I kindly and lovingly told him no and my reason was, "I still have to clean up the kitchen and you make a WAY bigger mess than I do. It's easier to do it myself. But thanks for the offer." That was the end of it. So the other day he asked if I would like him to cook for me or go out for Valentine's. Well, if you have tried to eat out in our town lately, you will understand why I didn't want to go out. #1. There is no place good to eat. #2. The service SUCKS! He said he was cooking so I just let him take over and I haven't worried about it. I haven't asked or nagged about it, I just thought I would let him take over. My only request was that Quayd was with us. No Babysitter. He is my Valentine too, afterall. Of course, Brett felt the same way. We are all three kind of a package deal. So I talked to him this afternoon and he told me that he had the meat taken care of, so I offered to make a side and dessert. Well, I came home from work and I got so excited to surprise him with a fancy table setting. Of course, I set the table for three. I used a white table cloth, tons of candles, a picture of Brett and I from last Valentine's Day, a picture of the three of us, and our wedding cake top. I borrowed some beautiful red wine glasses from my mom and I filled them with Brett's favorite drink. Black Cherry Kool-Aid. I made some angel hair pasta, a green salad, and I bought chocolate dipped strawberries, another of his faves. I got so excited for him to come home and see my surprise. He was surprised, but just to prove how Non-Romantic he is, he was much more excited with his combination license that came in the mail today. Oh well. Anyway, the meat he had bought was King Crab Legs and Shrimp. MY FAVORITES!!!!! I never get to cook sea food at home because Brett hates it, so I was super excited. He likes some shell fish, so he was happy about the crab too. Well, typical us, we realized that we didn't have crab leg cracker thingies, so we had to make a quick run to Wal-Mart. We also needed to pick up the rest of Quayd's present. He has been freaking out for the movie "Snow Buddies," and it has been difficult to find. They had it tonight. Phewwwww. We also got him a new Uno set and a huge jawbreaker. Not too fancy. Well, just as we were getting ready to leave for the store, I noticed a gift on the table. He was grinning from ear to ear and he told me to open it. Well, it was small, jewelry shaped, and had a jewelry store sticker on it! I was SHOCKED!! This is so out of the ordinary for him. I opened it up and it was a white gold necklace chain. He got me a beautiful white gold and pearl necklace last Christmas (another HUGE shocker) and the chain was cheap and broke soon after. I had an old silver one I was using, but it didn't look as nice. So I was thrilled, shocked and I felt like I was going to throw up. Anyway, dinner was great. Quayd hates seafood, so he had a hot dog, but our shrimp and crab were wonderful. Strawberries; wonderful. Black Cherry Kool-Aid; wonderful. Pasta; wonderful. Salad; didn't touch it, we got to full on other things and didn't want to waste valuable stomach space for healthy stuff. So after a great dinner, we all cleared the table, loaded the dishwasher and played Uno. Quayd LOVES the game Uno. He has the little kids simple Curious George version, but he is so good at playing, we thought he was ready for the grown-up version. He was pretty impressed that the box said it was for ages 7 and up, and he is only 5 and did great. It was fun. Then Quayd and I made a bed on the living room floor, Brett relaxed in his recliner and we watched Survivor and last night's Big Brother that we missed. We were in bed before 10:00 PM. Quayd went right to sleep. Brett and I went to sleep a little later. (wink, wink) Actually, Brett is asleep now and I am blogging, but whatever. It was a great day. I can't think of another way I would rather spend it than with the two most important men in my life.

Let me back up a little bit and tell about the earlier half of my day. I was able to help in Quayd's class for his Valentine's Party. It was fun. He requested that I come up with a Valentine Bowling game. It was tricky, but I figured it out, and it was lots of fun. The kids loved it. They also played Bingo and made sugar cookies. After school/work, Quayd and I went to lunch at Arby's and I went and had my nails filled in. Don't worry. NO BLUE HEARTS! I have decided to stay away from the airbrush table for awhile.

Well, I would like to close my blog today by telling ten things I love about both of my Valentines.

Brett:
1. He is so funny! He is totally different around me at home that he is around everyone else. He is just so silly.
2. He teases me constantly. Most of the time I love it!!
3. He is great at BBQ'ing.
4. He acts well under pressure. When ever something major happens, he knows just what to do.
5. This one would be on the list of 10 things I hate about him too, but... He knows EVERYTHING! Most of the time it drives me nuts, but sometimes it comes in handy.
6. He really lets me do whatever I want. He doesn't try to control me or anything. He never complains when I want to have a girl's night or go scrappin' late or something.
7. He respects me.
8. He trusts me.
9. HE LOVES ME!!! He loves me no matter what I look like, how much I weigh, how stinky my farts are, how bad my morning breath is, how scary my hair looks in the morning, how grouchy I am, how silly I am, how PMS-ey I am, how quirky I am, how slow I drive, how big my feet are, how cold my butt is when I get in bed, how dirty my car is, how much diet pepsi I drink, he just loves me for me. Isn't that awesome?
10. He is a dork. REALLY! and I LOVE that about him. It makes me laugh. He forgets things all of the time and I just love it! It bugs the crap out of me, but I LOVE it.

Quayd
1. He is so sweet.
2. He is so good!!!
3. He is funnier than anything in the world! I constantly laugh at him.
4. He is smart and reminds me all the time about the things I should and should not be doing. We ofter refer to him as Jiminy Cricket.
5. He is my one and only! I witnessed so many miracles when he came into this world, and I will treasure those experiences forever. I feel like he has seen me in my very darkest moments and my very best moments. I don't really believe in soul mates, but if there were soul mates, Quayd would be mine. We just get each other.
6. He loves Chinese food and going to the movies!!! (Brett doesn't, so we sneak out and have "dates" sometimes. I love it.
7. He is a Momma's boy. Is there anything better in the whole world than a Momma's Boy?
8. He is kind and caring. He doesn't see race, disabilities, or imperfections.
9. He has 3 nipples. I know. It's weird, but I love it. It's so cute.
10. He has the best kisses in the whole world, and when he wraps his arms around my neck, kisses me and tells me he loves me, my heart just melts.


Wow. That was really hard. Hard because it was tough to narrow it down to 10 for each of them. These are the men that love me, protect me, put me on a pedastal, treasure me, and trust me to take care of them. Being a wife and mom is the best job ever and I am so glad that I get to spend forever with these two awesome guys. Happy Valentine's Day!

4 comments:

Janice {Run Far} said...

That was so cute, I love the center piece, It looked like fun. I love Dipped Strawberry's, yum I had one last night, Natalie braught us some that she had made. Have a good day...

Kandice said...

We had the best Valentine's Day too, McDonald's was delightful. I am so excited that you got a surprise this year. Way to go Brett! And good job to you for being the best mommy in the world to your sweet little boy, and for doing such cute gifts for him. He is very lucky.

Emily said...

Way to go Brett! You are such a lucky girl Mandy!

M Occasionally B said...

Hey Mandy. It's Melissa Cain/Haley. Just thought I'd let you know that I checked out your blog. It's so fun to read. I am definitly a fan!