Tuesday, February 12, 2008

the one about the working world

So, I know I told you all that I got a new job, but I didn't really get to tell you what it is. Mostly because I wasn't quite sure myself. I will be working with the "Gifted and Talented" students at my school. It is a new program, and from what I understand, it is sort of a test. It may be here next year, it may not. It will all depend on the success of the program. I am totally starting from scratch. We have purchased this new software and nobody knows exactly what it is. So I am spending the next week or so figuring it out and then I will create class lists and start having students come in and work on the program. It is going to be so much fun. I work the same hours that Quayd is in school. I start at 9:15 like him, and we get out at 12:15. Then we usually have school lunch together and go home. It is the perfect schedule, and whenever he needs me, I am just down the hall.

I am super excited for this new chapter in my life. When Quayd started school, I just felt a little empty. I have dedicated the last 5 years to him. I have sacrificed things that all new moms do. I don't regret it and I would do it all over again, but as he started to gain some independence, I felt like it was time for me to do something for myself. And since I can't have anymore babies, maybe I could do something for the kids at my school. I have been subbing for the last few months, so I feel like the kids already know me. I have worked in the library, computer lab, several classrooms and even the front office. I walk down the hall and all of the kids say "Hi Mrs. Lane!" I love it. I also see them around town and they are so excited to see me. I am just as excited to see them! Some of them come and give me a big hug, and that means the world to me. Yesterday, when I walked in the office to start my first day as an official employee, Holly's daughter, Alison was in the office on the phone crying to her mom. When she saw me, she got off the phone and came right to me crying and just wrapped her arms around me. I took her in the sick room and sat down with her. She had twisted her ankle. The principal and I got her an ice pack and I sat with her for a minute. She calmed down and eventually went back to class. I was so excited to be able to help her. I want the kids to see me as a comforter and nurturer. I love them all so much!!!!

Becoming a working woman has taken up a lot of my free time, but it is a sacrifice I am willing to make. All of my friends still have babies and little ones running around and I don't. I am in a new phase of my life. During the school year, I won't have a need to take Quayd and a lunch to the park. We won't be doing the library story time thing anymore. Anyway, it has been a hard transition, but a worthwile one. I hope everyone can see why I have taken this plunge into the working world. I don't get to do as many of the fun things anymore, but now I get to do more fun things with Quayd. I get to see him in a setting that most people don't get to see their children in.

Well, that was a boring blog. Sorry. Thanks for sticking with me through it. I just needed to get my feelings out in the open! Love you all!!!

p.s. If any of you reading this have kids in my school and are interested in having your kids in this program, let me know. And more importantly, let your child's teacher know. It is Parent Teacher Conferences this week, so talk to your teacher about it.

4 comments:

Janice {Run Far} said...

Taylor just loves being able to see you at school, she comes home and tells me when and where she saw you. I am happy you are working and that it gives you so much joy. I want to start subing when Morgan is in school too.

P.S We should go see Juno- I loved it and I know you will too..

Hope said...

Mandy, you have so many wonderful gifts to offer children. I'm grateful you've found a vehicle through which you can share your talents and love. You are a great mom and while I think having your "baby" gone during the day at school, you have a great attitude and are really utilizing your time to bless others, as well as yourself. I'm proud of you and know you will do a great job! This class sounds exciting--how awesome that you get to work with the kids from the beginning!

Kandice said...

That is the perfect job for you, and I'm glad you snatched it up. When Kayler gets in school, I hope they need that position filled by me for whatever school he is in..haha, i wish. I hope they have that program at Hallie's school so she can get some extra learning in. I miss ya though, give me a call when you get into the groove of things and have an extra minute. Gavin talks about Quayd every day, they better play soon! Have a good day.

Emily said...

Mandy, I am so glad I found your blog! Good luck in the working world. You will love being part of the elementary school- it's so rewarding.