Monday, February 9, 2009

the one about my career shadow



Several weeks ago, Brayden asked me if he could career shadow me. I was so flattered that he would even ask. Of course, I was ecstatic and couldn't wait for the day to come around. Well, it finally came. It was last Thursday, Feb. 5th. He came to my house a few minutes before 8:00 and we headed off to work. It was just a typical day for me. I have a lot of paperwork and reports to run in the mornings. I also have to check all arrivals, assign rooms etc. So there wasn't a lot of cool stuff going on in the morning so we put Brayd-O to work. We have all of this old paperwork that needs to be organized and shredded. I showed him what to do and he rocked it. He worked really hard and I was so proud of him. Later in the afternoon, I took him to lunch. I offered to take him home after we ate, but he was excited to come back to work. I was able to take him on a big tour of the hotel. I showed him how everything worked, where the laundry is washed, how to make keys and all kinds of other stuff. He said that he was surprised at how much really goes on in a Hotel. He had to do a worksheet at the end of the day telling what he thought of his job. He said he liked it and might consider doing something like that as a career. I had to evaluate him as an employee and he got a big fat A from his "boss!" He really did a great job. I was so proud to have him there with me. He is so special to me. I adore him and I am so glad he likes me enough to want to come hang out with me at work. We giggled all day! He is so much fun. In the morning, my boss was asking him a bunch of random questions. then she said something to the effect of "If she gives you an A, Mandy will probably be your favorite Aunt." He just looked at her, put his arm around me and said, "WHATEVER! She is already my favorite Aunt!" It made me so happy. He is the BEST!

Poor kid got his braces on the day before, so he was pretty sore. He could only eat soft foods, but he did really well. He complained of pain a couple of times, but truly, he did AWESOME! Is he cute or what?

3 comments:

Leisa said...

So fun!! Brayden is such a good kid. I remember when he was one of my cub scouts!! Tell him he looks cool in his braces! :)

Janice {Run Far} said...

How fun for the both of you. I hated having braces. They really do hurt your teeth. UGH

Michele and Wyatt said...

Mandy,
Kamryn was watching over my shoulder as I read your blog tonight. He noticed that Quayd had a blog and wanted to see it. Both of my boys were so impressed. Kamryn thought it was so cool that he did a video too. Now Kamryn wants to do a music video. Anyway tell Quayd that my boys loved his blog.