Friday, February 20, 2009

the one about Quayd's new digs

This post has been a few weeks coming. I didn't want to post until I had pictures and my SD Card Reader on my printer was being weird. Now I got that all figured out, so I can post. Looking at it now, my pictures weren't really all that great so I just took a few more. It is a more accurate look at his room since it is a little cluttered and "lived in," if you know what I mean.

When we first moved into this house, nearly 5 years ago, I decorated Quayd's room in these really cute tractors and trucks. It was bright, fun colors and he really liked it. He was almost 2. Well now, at age 6 1/2, it was time for a change. We took him to the Clark Planetarium last fall and since then, he is obsessed with space, stars and planets. We thought that would be a perfect theme to decorate! I searched online for a cute bedspread and found a few that I liked, the cutest one being on K-Mart's website. One afternoon, Quayd and I were bumming around town and we had to stop at K-Mart. I thought I would just look and see if they had anything. To my surprise, they had it in stock!! I bought it right then, and got the decorative pillows and sheets to match. I was so excited. The next step was a new bed. He had a full sized bed before, but his room is so tiny that it left no room for his other stuff. We knew he needed a twin. Another problem we had was when he had friends spend the night, there was no place for them to sleep and I ended up tearing my living room apart to make beds on the floor. We thought a bunk bed might be a good idea. He plays video games in his room a lot so this fouton bunk bed seemed PERFECT! It gives him a place to sit and relax alone or with friends, and he can sleep on the bunk. The other day, he and I were watching a movie in his room and I laid on the bottom part and actually fell asleep. It was so nice! We bought it, used actually and we are SO happy with our purchase. It was from a lady here in town and Brett found it on the KSL.com classifieds. It was in such good shape, very well cared for, clean and PERFECT!!! We had to buy a mattress for the top. Altogether, the bed cost us around $300. Not to bad. Quayd loves the colors blue and turquoise, so he wanted at least one wall that color. This is the color we chose, and we actually did two walls that color. (this is when we were putting the bed together)

When Brett was working out of town a lot, Quayd got used to sleeping with me. When Brett was home, Quayd wanted to sleep in our room. It was also around the time Brett's dad passed away. Quayd would wake up crying all of the time because he was so upset about losing his Papa. He also went through a spell of night terrors. We wouldn't let him sleep with us, but he had a little bed in our room. I know what you are thinking... PSYCHO! But I don't care. I loved having him in my room, and it was sure handy when he woke up freaking out every night. He was sad when we told him he needed to sleep in his room now, but the transition was really smooth. I think it was time for all of us!!!

Now we have all of it decorated and put together. He LOVES his new room and has had no trouble sleeping in there. He doesn't even wake up during the night. I love it! He is such a good boy and he deserved an awesome room! He is doing so well in school and he is growing up so fast. He feels so grown up in his big bed and he is so proud of all of it. He takes good care of all of his stuff and he has been doing a great job of keeping it clean. Good job Quayd!! We love you!!!!

Here are a few more pictures...






7 comments:

Janice {Run Far} said...

Quayd is such a lucky little boy to have you guys as his parents. Cute room.

Leisa said...

Cute room. Spencer has that same "Moon in my Room" thing too. I am ready to change some things in my house too, but don't know where to start!

Kelli said...

very cute!

Cara said...

Riley has that moon too and heber has used up all the batteries more than once! You did such a great job painting that I need to utilize your services painting my girls' rooms!

galleygrapevine said...

Amelia said she loved his bed

Aaron and Megan said...

Cute blog Mandy, Quayd is so cute and so grown up. We are looking forward to seeing you guys next weekend. Tell everyone hi.
www.maaronj.blogspot.com

Megan

Kandice said...

So so cute! I am so happy for him. Good job!!. p.s., miss ya!