Monday, November 26, 2007

the one about my gosh dang Christmas decorations

Well, it took an insane amount of time, but I finally finished decorating my house and cleaning up the mess. phhewwwww...

Maybe you don't understand. I am a FREAK about my decorations. My tree is a huge deal to me. It has to be PERFECT! It went up pretty fast, but the rest... I really struggled with. I love Christmas and all, but I am just not feeling it as much this year. Maybe because there is no snow and the weather has been decent. I don't know. Everything is beautiful now and I am so pleased. Now I can start reading my Christmas books then hopefully the holiday spirit will take over. I have 4 Christmas trees. One is Quayd's. I let him do his own because I am such a terrible mother, I won't let him help with mine. I told you, I am a freak! Here are a few pictures of my decor. The photos really don't do it justice, so pretend they are like 10 times prettier.

This is tree #1. the main one, in my living room.

Tree #2, Quayd's tree in his room.

Tree #3, also in my living room, but a smaller, more "outdoors-ey" version.


And finally, my 4th tree in my kitchen.
Definately a bad picture. But you get the point.

My dorky husband came home tonight as I was fixing dinner and he said, "So when do all of the people come?" I couldn't figure out what he was saying. He asked again, "When do all of the people get here?" I was puzzled. He finally, with a huge grin on his face, said, "You know, for the Festival of Trees!" Ha ha. He thinks he is so funny. After nine years he is still shocked every Christmas to see the insane amount of time and work I put into my decor. It is one of my "things." I can't help it. We usually do lots of lights outside too, but we are Bah-Humbug-ing them this year. I did a few but nothing like years past. It always turns into a huge fight between Brett and I, so I gave him the option to skip out. He agreed. We argue because I like them a certain way, and he likes them another, he usually falls off the roof, I laugh at him and we end up not speaking for a week. And yes, he has fallen off the roof more than once! If you know him, you know how accident prone he is. So was his dad and so are his brothers. I can't stop myself though. When he gets hurt, it is funny. Here is another story of him getting mad at me for laughing at his pain. You need to know that I am already giggling as I prepare to tell this story. He was taking the swamp cooler out of the window about 2 years ago. He was standing on a lawn chair that had a metal frame and canvas strips across it. It was a very nice and sturdy chair. So we thought. Suddenly, the canvas gave, and his feet broke through the chair. He was holding the swamp cooler and he just fell right through. He landed perfectly on his feet as if nothing had happened, but it was so funny. I know that when his feet hit the ground, it jarred his legs a little and I am sure it hurt, but it was HYSTERICAL! My brother happened to be watching too and we still laugh about it. I am laughing out loud now. Ok, time for another story about Brett. We have Sky Chairs. If you don't know what they are, here is a picture from their website. They are super cool. So a few years ago, Brett was sitting in his sky chair on the patio with our sweet 2 year old son in his lap. Suddenly the hook holding the chair broke and he fell right on his butt. He was totally relaxed and can you imagine how much it had to hurt? In those chairs you are kind of, almost reclined so he hit right on his tail bone. He didn't even know it had happened until he heard the sound and hit the ground. He describes the sound of it breaking as an ear piercing "PING!" I am terrible, but that is FUNNY! Quayd was fine. But there was a nice cushion between him and the ground! Poor Brett. I could go on and on, but I won't. I am still giggling picturing him standing there holding that swamp cooler in the middle of the broken chair. he he he he he

Tomorrow, I help in Quayd's class then I am going over to my grandma's to decorate her tree. Then on Thursday, I am decorating Kandice's mom's tree. Yippee! I am super excited. But I should probably get moving so I can get to bed and go to Curves early in the morning. I usually go after I take Quayd to school if I don't have anything going, but tomorrow I have a busy day. I love you all! thanks for sharing a laugh about my poor husband!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mandy! I would love to show you how to modify and customize your page. I don't have a minute right now, but during Harli's nap this afternoon I'll put some instructions together and send you. :D

Tari said...

This is why I've put you incharge of all the decorations for the Christmas Party!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mandy! I haven't forgotten about you... I have a few things put together in regards to how to modify your blog, but wondered if you will just send me your email addy so I can send them that way - it's quite lengthy. My email address is snuffy770@comcast.net.

Later,
Steph

Anonymous said...

I laughed out loud! Thanks for one of my 10 belly laughs a day today. And don't feel bad about wanting things the way you want them. I finally gave up and do lights by myself while Jason is at work. Problem solved! Your husband sounds like my nephew. He is THE most accident proned kid I've ever met. I'm so glad we got to hang out today! You inspired me to re-do some of my decorations without feeling neurotic! P.S. I LOVED your husbands comments about all the trees. That was another belly laugh....cause my husband has said similar comments! :)