Sunday, April 6, 2008

the one about our fun weekend

Gosh, we had a super fun weekend. Very relaxing, full of friends and fun. It was a nice change from being cooped up in our house like we have been for MANY weekends now. Also, Brett finally finished his EMT class, and that has been consuming our weekends too. He figured it out that he has not been home on a Saturday since the Saturday BEFORE Thanksgiving. He took a fire inspector class that started the day after Thanksgiving. It was every Friday night and all day Saturday. Then immediately after that ended, his EMT class started and it was every Thursday and Friday night, and all day Saturday. He took his final and passed... but I will post more about that later. Back to our weekend...

Bear with me, this might be long.

On Friday, after we got off work, Jamie invited me to come on a scooter ride with her. She has a super cute scooter, and her daughter, Brandi, has one too. Brandi was in SLC for the weekend and said it would be fine for me to take the scooter on a ride. I took Quayd up to play with Jamie's boys, and we hit the town. We left Jamie's house and went to Brett's work, stopping to talk to Brett's Aunt Marcie on the way. Brett was about to get off work, so he wanted to go with us on his motorcycle. (He just got it back after his accident last fall.... more details on that later, too!) While we waited for him, we ran to a couple of fun shops in town and looked around. Brett met up with us and we went to 7-11 for treats for the boys. We took the treats up to Jamie's, hung out for a little bit, then came home.

Brett and I had taken on a BIG spring cleaning project in our bedroom on Thursday and it needed to be finished up. Just as we got started, we received a call from Kandice. They invited us to go up to her mom's. Brett and GJ wanted to watch the Jazz game on Kandice's parent's HDTV, and Kandice and I wanted to play Dance Dance Revolution on Wii. The kids just ran around and played. Both of our families took leftovers for dinner, warmed them up and just hung out. It was SO much fun! (Thanks Kandice!) Probably the best part of the evening is that we didn't have to work on our big cleaning project!

At 9:00 am on Saturday morning, Quayd had his first AYSO outdoor soccer game. OH MY HECK! It was SO cold!!! But so cute and fun to watch. He loves soccer! I am so proud of him for working so hard and getting so involved in this sport. It is fun to see the competitive side of him. He has a little "fire within," I guess you could say. It makes his daddy so proud. It stresses his mommy out! They didn't win, but they had fun. That is all that matters, right?

After soccer, we came back home and watched the first session of the 178th LDS General Conference. It was really good. I love to watch Conference, but I have been struggling spiritually lately, so I wasn't real excited, like I usually am. Brett is a good influence on me, so I sat and watched it with him. I have to say.. it helped me a lot. I feel better, spiritually. It was so awesome to take part in the Solemn Assembly. I have never been a part of that. We made Quayd come in and sustain the new First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve. We tried to explain it to him the best we could, but he was more concerned about his own things. Thats ok I guess. He is only five, after all. Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin gave a talk that really touched me during the Saturday morning session. During the Sunday morning session, I LOVED the talk by Susan W. Tanner and I especially loved the final talk of the Sunday morning session by President Monson. M. Russell Ballard also gave a sweet talk on Mothers in the Sunday afternoon session. I liked it too. Of course, it is always nice to hear men praise their wives! President Monson's talk was his second talk as prophet. The first talk as prophet was given last night at the Priesthood session of Conference. Brett said it was really good, by the way. It has been so cool to watch the change in President Monson over the last couple of days. I have always loved this man as a general authority, but his transformation to prophet has been amazing. I really miss President Hinckley, and conference kinda didn't seem the same with out him. But I really do love President Monson and his counsellors. It was a great conference and I am glad I watched/listened to it. Anyway, I feel like I have been spiritually fed. And I really needed it. For more information about General Conference, visit http://www.lds.org

Ok, back to my weekend... I have volunteered, or been suckered, I am not sure which one, to paint the soccer fields once a week. I recruited Jamie to help me. We had to meet the lady that showed us how to do it at 2:30 on Saturday. It will be really easy, and actually kind of fun. We didn't have to paint yesterday, so we went and got a Diet Pepsi. Then I came home and had a little nap. When it was time for the Priesthood session of conference, Lavell came and picked Brett up, and Quayd and I headed to Jamie's. The Reeves invited us, the Beers, and the Mansfields to come up after Priesthood session for banana splits. Quayd and I went a little early so Quayd could play with Jacob, and Jamie and I could watch the movie "Becoming Jane." It was so good, but we didn't get to finish it. Everyone came up, we had dessert and came home.

Sunday morning was nice and relaxing. I made a big yummy breakfast. Brett and I watched conference and had a nice LONG talk. You know those talks you have with your spouse that can be so tender, so honest, so loving.... You know? Those ones? It was awesome. I love my sweet husband and all of the love and support he gives me.

Anyway, that was my weekend. It was great. Thanks to all of you who contributed to the good parts!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had a super fun, busy weekend! I miss being able to run around on my scooter, but I think Harli was soooo worth trading it in for. :D

Michele and Wyatt said...

I'm glad you got to watch conference. It was awesome. I was a little distracted on Sunday, so I can't wait until it comes out in print and I can read it. I really enjoyed Elder Ballard's talk too. The solemn assembly was really neat. I don't think I've ever done that either.

I'm so glad that Derek and Quayd are on the same soccer team so we can see each other more often. Spring soccer may be cold, but it is sooo much fun.

Kelli said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend.