Thursday, July 3, 2008

the one about the land that I love

I am SO not very good expressing myself when it comes to my patriotism. But I am going to give it a shot anyway. I feel that I would be totally ungrateful if I didn't talk about this wonderful land I live in.
I like to think of myself as a very patriotic person. I get teary eyed when I hear the Star Spangled Banner. I got choked up at Mt. Rushmore both times I went. I love our beautiful flag and I wave it with all of the pride in the world. I don't really like to get into controversial and political issues. I don't really care much about politicians and their personal lives. I am a little embarrassed to say that I don't really follow a lot of the political mumbo-jumbo that happens every day. But I do know that I live in the best country ever and I am so grateful for that blessing in my life.

I am "affiliated" with a political party, but I don't even want to discuss that. That is not what this post is about. In fact, I have a lot of respect for whoever our president is, or who will be elected in the next few months. I can't imagine how difficult that job must be and I sure know that I don't want it. I may not always agree with all of the decisions that are made by our leaders, but again, I have a lot of respect for them and the job they do.

Of course, I also have all of the respect and love in the world for the members of our Armed Forces. I just can't imagine how difficult a decision that must have been for each and every one of the soldiers who have served our country to leave home and sacrifice themselves for you and me. This is my personal thank you to any soldiers or Veterans who may came across this silly blog.
I have always loved our Veterans and tried my best to thank them. Again, I am not very good at things like that. My Grandpa served in Korea. Thank you Pop! My father-in-law served in the Navy. Thanks Mike! An old friend of ours served in Iraq. Thanks Andy! And we also have other Grandpa's and Uncles and friends who have served all over the world. Thank you to all of you. I know that I would not live where I live today and have the freedoms I enjoy if it weren't for these amazing and brave soldiers.
So there is my lame attempt to tell you all how much I love this land, and how grateful I am to live in the time that I live. Even though we pay tons of taxes and fuel costs a butt-load, I still love America. I love that, among other things, I can practice whatever Religion I want, say what I want, read what I want, write what I want, watch what I want and buy what I want. I am so glad I can go with my family this weekend and camp in our trailer on our beautiful mountains. I am thankful that so many brave men and women and our founding fathers have given me those rights.

I love you America!!! Happy Birthday!

4 comments:

Janice {Run Far} said...

You did a great job expressing yourself. I love this counrty too, and I feel very blessed and lucky to have been born, and raised here. I am also grateful for all of my friends and family that have served.

Megan said...

I love you so much for this post right now. I really wish everyone in this world was as lucky as us. I am an Army child and I am so proud of my dad and all of our armed services. They really are my heroes. Good job reflecting on the entire point of this holiday celebration! Have fun!

Paul and Megan Hawkes said...

God Bless America! I agree totally with your post. What a great tribute to our beautiful country and our Armed Service Men and Women! Thank you for sharing that post with all of us! I love America!

Michele and Wyatt said...

What a neat tribute to America! You're awesome, and did a fine job expressing your feelings. I too am very grateful to live in this country and I'm very grateful for all those who serve our country. I have two brothers who are in the military. They are my Heros. Thanks Mandy for sharing your thoughts, so that I could reflect about my own feelings.