Tuesday, October 23, 2007

the one about Quayd's day at school

On Tuesdays, I go into Quayd's class and help out. I LOVE it! I am so grateful that I have the opportunity to do it. Quayd is still at the age that he thinks its cool for his mom to come to school with him, but I shudder at the thought of him deciding he would rather I park down the block to drop him off. My heart just swells with love and pride when I see him in "big boy" settings. I am always so proud of what a good boy he is. So, I observed many things in his class today. Allow me to share...

Observation #1. He loves to go to school and eat breakfast in the cafeteria. Usually, his buddy Kasen goes with him. So today, we, as usual, were running late. We fly over to Kasen's, pick him up and head for school. Quayd likes me to eat with him on the days that I help in class. I don't usually eat, I just buy a milk and sit with him. It's very hard, though, not to take care of him like I do at home. I wanted to get his tray for him, tell the lady his name, open his milk, spread butter on his muffin, dump his tray and wipe his sweet face when he was all finished. But I can't. He has to learn this stuff on his own. But I certainly didn't fight him when he wanted to hold my hand on his way to class!

Observation #2. We get to class and I watch him cheerfully tell his teacher, "Good Morning!" He hangs his backpack and takes his seat. When it was time, he stood, placed his hand over his heart, and said the Pledge of Allegiance. (I am a huge dork! I am very patriotic and I sorta tear up when I hear the entire school reciting the Pledge in unison, and knowing that my sweet 5 year old is among them and knows it word for word.) They were then instructed on the days events and the learning began. They worked on the letter "I" for their phonics lesson, worked on numbers a little, talked about how important it is to brush and floss, he passed off his Pre-Reader books, and passed off the lower-case "d" in his handwriting lesson. What a smartie!

Observation #3. When the class was divided into "Centers," Quayd was placed with kids who are on his same learning level. They were in groups of 5. It is amazing to see the difference in each child as they conquer different skills. Quayd, I am proud to say, is in the top of his class. Even though he is the youngest, by far. While they were in "centers," they were in the "kitchen" area. The kids in his group were being very silly and loud. Not bad, just loud. Mrs. R. had to get after them a bit, and told them if they couldn't be quiet they would have to sit with their heads down. Quayd straightened right up and was as quiet as a mouse. I was working with one of the groups on their handwriting skills and I knew it wasn't my place to get involved. So I observed. Three of the others couldn't stop! (They were actually being so silly and cute. It was fun to watch.) So teacher sent them all to sit with their heads down. Well, Quayd was DEVASTATED! He hates to be in trouble and it broke his tender little heart to know that he had to put his head down. To him, that is the worst punishment. I looked over at him and realized he was sobbing. I finally walked over to his desk and told him that it was ok and that sometimes we get in trouble. He told me that he didn't want to be "a bad kid." I assured him that he was not a bad kid and that we all make mistakes. Mrs. R. released them from their prison and allowed them to play again. The other kids weren't even phased by the punishment. Quayd walked right over to his teacher and said, "I am so sorry Mrs. R. I will never be bad again." She told him she was sorry and that she shouldn't have put him in time out because he was being good. Then he was fine. He got over it very quickly, but I know it is not something he will soon forget.

Observation #4. Quayd has a little crush on an adorable girl named Brinklee. They played at recess together, they sit next to each other and they hang out as much as they can.

Observation #5. His friend, Raymond, was absent today.

Observation #6. I really should have been a Kindergarten teacher. I thought about it, but didn't want to go to school. I would have been good at it. It would have been rewarding. Oh well.

Observation #7. I am so fortunate to be a mother and to be loved so much. I am blessed to be able to stay at home and care for my son and have the opportunity to help at his school.

And my final observation is that Quayd is the cutest, sweetest, kindest and most handsome boy that has ever gone through Elementary school. Ever.

3 comments:

Wonderland Girl said...

He really really is, Mandy. He is so adorable, I would've cried if I had been there! That would break my heart to see him cry when he shouldn't have been in trouble. You need to start a preschool out of your home. It's so fun and you can do it your way and take as many or as few kids as you want and work only the days you want. It's awesome!! You would be great at it; and you don't need a degree!

Kandice said...

Kids are so cute. Especially Quayd. Unfortunately if Gavin would have been there, he would have been the one getting the other kids in trouble. Hallie maybe not, and I don't know about Kayler..lol. I love reading your blog.

Ramanda said...

You are a freakin awesome mom!!! You are my hero Mandy seriously!! I am so glad you are hooked on this blogging thing. It has been quite the experience getting to know you a little better!