Thursday, December 13, 2007

the one about our gingerbread house

Brett was in SLC for some work training for a couple of days, until tonight. Well, last night, Gleneita stopped in to say hi to Quayd and I. I was just throwing some dinner together so we invited her to stay and eat. We had one of our favorites, which is one of her favorites, too. Macaroni and tomato juice. Weird, I know. It is one of the wierd things that Quayd and I love to have when Brett is gone. Brett is super picky and very difficult to feed. Anyway, Gleneita was thrilled. Then we got talking about cookies, and I told her about one of my VERY FAVORITE cookies ever. They have peanut butter in them, and Brett despises peanut butter, so it is another one that Quayd and I love when Brett is gone. Gleneita thought they sounded good, I had the stuff to make them, so we just made a batch. Then we ate a good share of them while visiting and laughing! I had also promised Quayd we would make a gingerbread house. I bought one of those kits from Wal-Mart because he had wanted one so badly. If you know Gleneita, you know that she is not very crafty. Bless her heart! (you can say anything about anybody as long as you end it with, "Bless her heart.") Anyway, we talked her into staying and helping us. We seriously had so much fun. Us girls had no patience for the dang thing, so when I was trying to hold it together and she was trying to spread royal icing, she suggested a glue gun. WHO KNEW?!?!?!? Guess what? It totally worked. We knew we weren't going to eat the nasty thing anyway, so why not!?!?! It was funny. I broke out the glue gun and we got all of the walls together, then turned Quayd loose on the decorating. He did great, I think. He wanted a "Q" for Quayd on one roof panel and a "C" for Christmas on the other. Then he loaded it up with all sorts of candies. It was probably a "had to be there" evening, but it was such a blast. I love my mother-in-law so much. I know it sounds weird, and I am not even sucking up thinking she might read this. Trust me, she couldn't find this thing on the internet if you paid her!!! she is not very computer savy. But seriously, I love her to death. I am so happy when she just pops in. She is great!

Here are a few pictures of our fun adventure!




Oh, and since I brought it up, here is the recipe for the best cookies EVER!!!! And don't try to make them for Christmas, because I already am. Ne Ner Ne Ner. And look, they are even cute!
Chocolate Kiss Peanut Blossoms

sift together:
1 3/4 cup flour 1/2 tsp salt 1 tsp. baking soda
cream together:
1/2 c shortening 1/2 c peanut butter
mix both together, and gradually add:
1/2 c sugar 1/2 c packed brown sugar
creaming well, add:
1 unbeaten egg 2 tbsp. milk 1 tsp vanilla

beat everything well. shape into round balls and roll in sugar. place on baking sheet and bake at 375* for 8 minutes. remove from oven and place an unwrapped Hershey's Kiss in the center. press gently.

Seriously these rock! be sure to let them cool well before stacking them, because even thought you don't bake the kiss, it gets crazy hot and takes a long time to cool completely. but they sure are good to eat when they aren't totally cooled!!! let me know if you try it and what you think.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh... I love those cookies! Maybe I’ll have to make them this weekend. Thanks for the recipe. Sounds like you guys had so much fun. You are such a cute Mommy.

Oh, and you forgot to say "Bless her heart" after you told about how your Mother-in-law wasn't very computer savvy. tee hee.

Janice {Run Far} said...

I love Gleneita too, she is so much fun to talk to and I love being able to see her at Volleyball. BTW we won both games last night.. Yeah!!!! Anyways, she is such a sweet and beautiful women and she is truly a joy to be around...
P.S Quayd, I love your house it looks so good, maybe we should have you over to make a Gingerbread Train with Taylor.. Love you

Janice {Run Far} said...

P.S.S And then since you love the Polar Express so much you can call it THE POLAR EXPRESS....