Thursday, December 6, 2007

the one about substitute experiences

Wow. That is really all I can say after my two crazy days of substituting kindergarten. Yesterday, I had a blast subbing Quayd's class. He goes in the mornings so he just stuck around with mom while I taught the afternoon class. It was so much fun. Today I am subbing for the other kindergarten teacher at Quayd's school. Her morning class was a little bit wild, but I handled them ok. I really enjoy teaching the younger kids. The third grade class I taught last Friday was HELL! They were so naughty and disrespectful. But so far, I have had lots of luck with the younger grades. Quayd just spent the afternoon in the class I tought today after his class was finished. He is such a good boy. I know I couldn't let just any kid stay with me, but he is such a good boy and if he doesn't want to participate, he quietly sits in the corner and finds an activity to do. I sure love him.

So my awful class last week....... Holy crap. It started pretty good, but went downhill fast. There were about 6 boys who were just mouthy and rude. they couldn't keep their hand to themselves and just pestered everyone who was trying to be nice. Well this one kid told me first thing that he needed to call his mom right before lunch because she was going to bring pizza to the class for lunch. I told him that his teacher hadn't left me a note or anything so he would have to wait until Monday and talk to her. So lunch time rolls around and he come up to me and says, "I need to call my mom now about the pizza." I just told him, AGAIN, "No. I don't feel comfortable with that and you will have to wait and talk your teacher on Monday." Well the other kids overheard and were totally excited that they didn't have to eat fish nuggets for lunch. Can you blame them??? puke. Well i explained to all of them that I didn't feel comfortable with it and they could do it another day. I had another boy being a total brat, so as I turned around to deal with him, pizza boy called his mom and told her to come right away. I didn't know he had called her until it was to late to stop her. I got on the phone with her and she was lika, "I am on my way with a pizza with 18 slices." I said, "I didn't want your son to call you and he did it without permission. Besides, there are 22 kids in the class and it's not fair if they all can't have some." Well she showed up with 2 pizzas for 18. The kids were so excited, but I still made them go to the lunch room and get their trays and pizza would just be a bonus. They told me I was mean and everything, but I didn't rally care. I was MAD! Well, the day went on and only got worse. I had one student screaming at the other one and calling him a HORRIBLE name. I had kids hitting others with pizza boxes. Ohhhh, it was awful. Anyway, it ended not a moment to soon. I have since had several emails and a phone call from the teacher appologizing and trying to get to the bottom of the pizza story. Of course, the kid told her a totally different version. Blah Blah Blah. You know how it goes. But i also received some hand written letters in the mail from the boys who were being bad. They are pretty funny. I am not to hurt over it, but I sure am glad it is over. I think I will just stick to the younger students.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I'm exhausted just reading about your experience! Honestly - what kind of a mom just up and brings pizza for the entire class without making arrangements with the teacher?!? It's good that those kids wrote you notes though. Glad you survived!

Josh and Kristen said...

Ok, I am not sure if you remember who I am, but I linked onto your blog from Hope's. Loving the scrapbooking thing for your blog. I have attempted to figure it out on my own, with an absolutely ridiculous and embarassing result. I read that your friend sent you an email for how to do it. Will you forward it to me??? I would SOOOO appreciate it. kristenmarian@hotmail.com. Thanks!

Tari said...

Way to go Mandy! You stood your ground, too bad they walked all over you anyways! j/k That right there is the reason I would not want to ever teach. I could handle a bunch of nice kids but when they start getting out of line I wouldn't know what to do! I just can't comand a situation well enough to get everyone to pay attention. I'm proud of you for doing this and trying something new, it seems really scary to me.

Hope said...

What's with the pizza mom bringing pizza anyway when you told her not to AND when you told her there weren't enough slices???

I don't get that.

Great Job, though! I'm afraid I would have given out a few black eyes! (only kidding. sort of.)

By the way, my sister (Fawn Holmes) said you did a FABULOUS job subbing for her. Way to go!