Monday, January 14, 2008

the one about Bear Blank

So if you know Quayd very well, you know EXACTLY what "Bear Blank" is. For the rest of you, Bear Blank is Quayd's bed partner, comforter, companion, travel companion and best friend. My grandma made this blanket for Quayd before he was born. He loved all of his flannel receiving blankets, but became totally attached to this one at about 1 year. The top is blue with lots of bears all over it, and the back is a brown/tan plaid. It had a cute crocheted edge around it, but it wore off about 2 years ago. It seems like bear blank gets smaller and smaller all the time! I have had to mend, repair and re-sew this thing several times. I have tried to find the same fabric many times, but it has not been easy. I found a piece of the back, brown and tan plaid, but the blue bear print is discontinued. I am sure we have the last piece in the world. I have let Quayd go to the fabric store twice and choose any thing he wants so I could make him a new blanket to trade for Bear Blank. I have, in fact, made 2 blankets, and my grandma made one, but he will not trade. Last week, it finally got so bad, I had to take some serious action. It was so thread-bare and ripped EVERYWHERE. I was nervous to wash it, in fear that it might not even exist when I got it out of the spin cycle. This is a picture of Quayd with "him" and he was so mad that I had to work on him. He is actually faking a frown in this picture, but he truly cried the whole time I cut and sewed the darn thing. My only choice was to throw away the back piece (OK, it is hidden actually, for memory-sake, but don't tell Quayd) and I had to take the new brown and tan plaid and sew pieces of the blue bear print on top of it. Then I found some brown super soft minkie fabric for the back. Here is a picture of the new and improved bear blank. It is hideous, but it was my only choice. This is how Quayd said it had to be. He still wanted the bear fabric on it so he could rub it on his face. He is not very happy about it and he tells me everyday that he misses Bear Blank.

Here are a few interesting things about Bear Blank. Bear Blank is a world traveler. "He," (and yes, Quayd refers to him as a person; a boy in fact) has been to Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, Salt Lake City, Denver, many camping trips, Florida, Oklahoma, Mexico, Belize, the Zoo, in an airplane, on a cruise ship, in a car, on a sled, on a bicycle, on a 4-Wheeler, and he especially loves riding in the wagon when Quayd hooks it to his bike and pulls it all over. He has been covered with dirt, food, blood, tears, snot, puke, and silly putty. He loves to play CandyLand, GameBoy, and XBox. He loves Otter Pops and even helps Quayd hold them so his hands don't get cold. He has acted as a bandage for many wounds. His favorite cartoons are Fairly Odd Parents and SpongeBob. His favorite animal is Cat, and he loves to wrap around Orange and help Quayd pack him around the house. He loves music, and his favorite song is "You're a Grand Old Flag," so Quayd sing it to him all of the time.

This is Quayd and his cousin Abby at a family reunion.

Here are some pictures during the "Extreme Makeover; Bear Blank Edition."



Bear Blank is truly like another member of our family. I know that sounds retarded, but it is true. It drives Brett and I crazy, but at the same time, we love to see that some silly blanket brings him so much joy and happiness. He is 5 1/2 now, but you know what? When he snuggles his Bear Blank, I can still see the tiny baby that fell in love with it so many years ago. I love this picture of my husband with our tiny boy who was not even a day old yet, still in the hospital, wrapped in his bear blank.

3 comments:

Janice {Run Far} said...

Oh yes, blanket attachment, the Cook girls know all about that. Except they both call 'their' blanket 'DeetDeet'. I think that started when Taylor was little and couldnt say blankie. Actually Tay has shortened the name to just 'Deets'.

Hope said...

That is so great! Keep Bear Blank...even if it has to finally just go into storage! I still have a Big Bird doll from my early childhood and even though I never see it (it's in a box in the garage) I would be heartbroken if I thought it was gone and that I'd never be able to just "pull it out" if I ever was inclined. You're such a good mommy! And I love the pic of Brett as a brand-new daddy!

Josh and Kristen said...

What a great story. That is so cute, because just like you said, even though they are growing it's like you can hold onto that little baby for just a little bit longer. I feel attached to bear blank and I have never even seen it. It was good to see you the other day at the store!