Wednesday, August 27, 2008

the one about the first day of school



I have been so busy the last couple of days that I haven't had a second to blog about Quayd's first day of school. You wouldn't believe the number of phone calls, emails and text messages I have received asking how Quayd's day went. So I thought I better get on the ball and get blogging! I had to work tonight and I am usually so wired after working, it takes some time to unwind and get sleepy. Everyone is asleep, so here I sit!

First of all, I was not excited for Quayd to go to school for a full day. He is still only 5 and he is my tiny baby and I just don't feel like he is ready to go to school all day. Notice, I said "I don't feel like he is ready." He is SO READY! I think it was just that I am not ready. He is so smart, besides being very social. I am sure a lot of it is that he is an only child and is around adults 24/7. I can't imagine how bored he would be if I had kept him back last year. He is reading, writing, spelling and doing simple math problems. Needless to say, he is LOVING IT!!!!

I have laughed at some of my friends blogs talking about the first day of school. I have also been very relieved to hear what they say. Allow me to explain. Quayd insisted that he ride the bus to and from school. I offered to drive and even walk him to his class, but he refused. So, when he got off the bus, I was SO EXCITED to hear all about his day. I couldn't wait to sit down with him and have him tell me every last detail. So I ask, "How was it?" He replies, "Good." "Well, what did you do?" he says, "Just learned and stuff." I ask, "Well, did you like it?" "Yah. It was pretty fun." That was it. I couldn't get one more detail out of him. I guess that is good. I know he likes it. He is happy there. He is thrilled to be riding the bus. He LOVES his teacher. So, I guess I should just be satisfied with that. Kim B. made a good point... I am just going to copy and paste it because I can't make it sound right in my own words. "I could tell that school is VITAL to all things. They each have re found their sense of age and accountability in just one day." I hadn't thought about it, but its true. At this age, kids are cut our for school. That is really their purpose right now, so it is just a very smooth transition because, well, it just is. I am just amazed at how Quayd adjusted to going a whole day as opposed to a half day of Kindergarten last year. It makes me feel more confident that sending him when I did was the right thing.

On the first day, I was FREAKED OUT about being home alone all day, so I was actually relieved to get a call from work at 7:00 am. The morning girl was sick and they needed me to cover. It was a GREAT thing for me to do. I still worried and wondered all day, but work kept my mind occupied. I was home in plenty of time to get him off the bus, so all was well. I had to be to work at 8:00 and the bus comes at 8:10, so I just asked my Grandpa to walk them to the bus stop. He was pretty excited.

Since pre-school, Quayd has always liked to give his teacher an apple on the first day of school. I am not even sure where he learned about it. Anyway, Talia and Gleneita were in SLC this weekend so I asked them to go to the Rocky Mountain Chocolate factory and pick up a yummy caramel apple. They chose Strawberry Cheesecake flavored. Yum! It even has graham cracker crumbs on the bottom! When Quayd got off the bus, i asked him if Mrs. Green liked her apple, and he had forgotten to give it to her. He was so upset, so I offered to drive him to the school so he could take it to her.
Then I asked him if she liked it and, just like his earlier response, he said, "Yah." And that was all I got.

So to sum it all up, Quayd LOVES first grade. He is doing well and adjusting perfectly. Thanks to all of you who wondered about him. (and me! Trust me, it has been much harder on me then him!!!) Just like we all guessed, he is doing WONDERFUL! The jury is still out on how I am doing!

7 comments:

Janice {Run Far} said...

He is so darn cute, and I love that he needs to give his teacher an apple when school starts, and that carmel apple looks so yummy. Glad to hear you are still alive and kicking, i worry when I haven't heard from you in a day, let alone two or three. Text me... LYMI

Unknown said...

He has to be the cutest little boy I've ever seen. It was so hard on me too. I feel like 7 hours away from Brink is torture. I teared up all day. It is good to know I wasn't the only one sad. You have an adorable family.

Chauntue Peterson said...

auhhh how cute he always has this look on his face like he knows more then we think he does but in a good way, he is to cute. Tell him to quit being so independant it's not good for your (mom) health j/k i know I hate it when my kids figure out they don't need me so much.

Kelli said...

Yeah for Q!

Megan said...

well, I can assure you that Quayd's teacher LOVES the carmel apple!! Still eating it, a slice a night!! I was going to ask what the flavor was....

I am so happy Quayd is in my class. He is such a good example and is so friendly to everyone.

The first few days are long.... for all of us.

Thanks for spoiling me already. Get ready to be a busy room mom. I'm already planning on you!

Ramanda said...

Call me por favor! I need some bloggity help! 970.274.4350
Oh and ever since I read this post I have been jonesin' for one of those carmeled apples!

Slaugh Family said...

you are having a hard time with him going to school all day long, cuz your such a great mom and Quayd is such a great boy, not to mention such the cute one to,it will get easier the older he gets, believe me, I was like that when Quentyn first went to school, now that he is 10 I am counting down till they all move out, 8 yrs is a long time, hehe
love your guts and your liver