Sunday, August 31, 2008

the one about Grandma Karren


Wow..... What a crazy week/weekend. I wasn't sure where to start, so I will start with my Grandma Karren, then I will move on to Quayd and his Birthday.

I am sure I have mentioned this before, but I don't expect anyone to remember every tiny detail of my life, so I will give you a refresher. Grandma Karren is my Great-Grandmother. Quayd's Great-Great-Grandmother. Her Birthday is April 19th and she was born in 1910. Nearly a century old! When Quayd was just a tiny baby, Grandma was still living on her own in her house, which is now my house. In January of 2003, she fell in her house and broke her hip. She had to have surgery and ended up in the Care Center and has not been able to leave since. She had still been in excellent health, but over the last few years, her mind has started to slip as well as her health. It has been very sad to see her going downhill. My Great-Grandpa, Victor, passed away when I was in the 5th grade, and Grandma has wanted to be with him ever since. She has never been afraid of death and knew that when it was her time, she would go. Well, my Grandma called me on Wednesday morning to tell me that Grandmas had taken a turn for the worse and that they didn't think it would be long. My mom and I met my Grandma at the Care Center. She was totally non-responsive. We talked to her, held her hand and spent as much time with her as we could. At one point, I looked around the room and noticed that this would probably be the last time the Four generations of women would be together.

I was right. She passed away Thursday morning. I had just gotten Quayd off to school and I went to work. My Grandma had gotten ready for the day and headed to see Grandma Karren. They were alone in the room, and Grandma just stopped breathing. One of the nurses was nearby, so she stepped in and listened to her heart, and confirmed to my Grandma that Grandma Karren was gone.

It is such a blessing, for her. She was 98 years old and had really had a couple of rough years. But she lived such a full and active life and as silly as it may sound, I learned EVERYTHING from her. Either directly from her, through my Grandma, or through my mom. She was an amazing woman and I am so proud to call her "Grandma."

So while planning the funeral, it was decided that it would have to be on Saturday the 30th. Quayd's 6th Birthday. (Last year, Brett's dad died on August 29th. Sad huh!) Anyway, Quayd was such a good sport and he handled it all wonderfully. We already had his party planned for the 29th, and I will tell you all about it later. After the funeral, there was a meal planned for the family and everyone sang Happy Birthday to Quayd.


Anyway, it was a beautiful service and I am so glad that Grandma Karren can finally be with Grandpa again. She was such a great woman, and even though I could go on and on all day about all of the great memories, I will just tell a couple of quick stories. When I was younger, I played city-league softball. I wasn't any good, but I sure loved it. Grandma Karren loved it even more! Because my parents worked, Grandma took me to every game and every practice. She cheered louder than anyone there. I LOVED having her there. After the games, we would spend hours talking about every play, every error, and every last detail. She could still drive at that time, but probably shouldn't have! We seriously traveled either 9 MPH or 90. No in between! It was awesome, and I will treasure that time forever.

Another little story... I have often wondered why Grandma Karren lived so long. Don't get me wrong, I loved that she did and I am so grateful for her long life and wonderful legacy, but when she started forgetting everyone, I just ached to know. I wondered what her "Purpose" was. Obviously, her work on this Earth was not complete, but at 98 with a failing mind and body, what did she have to do? What COULD she do? Well, my mom spoke at the funeral yesterday and she said something that has really stuck with me. I think I may have gotten my answer.... Grandma was always so worried about the ditch (or "gulch" as she always called it!) in front of her (now MY) house. She just knew one of the kids would fall in. It upset her constantly!!! She worried about her kids, her kids' kids, their kids, and now our kids. Four generations of kids! That is a lot of worrying. If ever one child was not right where she thought they should be, she ran down to the gulch to make sure they weren't there. Well, as I have mentioned several times, the city came in this summer and covered that dang gulch. Now we have a beautiful yard with no gulch!! In my mom's talk, she mentioned this and she said that now, finally, Grandma can quit worrying about that darn gulch! Maybe that was her purpose. Who knows? But whatever reason, she is finally at rest and in peace, and with her partner that she has longed for for so many years.

I want to leave you with a few pictures of Grandma Stella Marie Karren.
(Poor quality, I know, sorry! It was from my scrapbook!) This is 5 generations! I know I look horrible. I was pretty sick, of course we didn't know HOW sick. Actually, this was right before I got REALLY sick. Anyway, my Grandma (Doris), Quayd, Grandma Karren (Stella), my mom (Julie) and me.
This is grandma Karren with the cutest most handsome baby boy in the whole world!!!
Another 5 generation picture. We all look AWFUL in this one, but there is no excuse. I don't know what was up with us! (Thank goodness I didn't look the worst, my mom had that one in the bag!!!) It was taken on Christmas Eve, 2002 at my Grandma's house.

I took several pictures at the after funeral dinner, but only of my favorite people. JUST KIDDING. I wish I would have been more diligent at taking pictures... so here are the few that I got.

This is my mom's cousin, Margie and her two beautiful daughters, (My second cousins) Lisa and Marcie. Marcie and I were pen-pals for years!! They live in California.
My mom's cousin Rick and his wife Virginia. (These guys are so funny!)
My Rock Star uncle Kim!
My one and only cousin, Brooke and her husband Steve, who I am sure I totally freaked out!!! There was a "nipple incident," and I am very very sorry Steve!

The night before the funeral (Friday) we had a big dinner at my Grandparent's house on their patio. It was so much fun and it turned into a "jam" session. My Grandpa plays several instruments and he had to practice a song he and his buddies were playing at the funeral. They all stayed and played music for hours. It was so cool! Brett even got involved by singing along.

Quayd wanted to get in on the action, so he got his fiddle, but he got to shy to play.


By the way, the picture at the very top of this post was taken at my wedding! That was also the dress she wanted to be buried in. She looked just as beautiful yesterday as she did in this picture. I love her so much and I can't wait to see her again!!!

3 comments:

Cara said...

Mandy, I am so sorry that I didn't make it to her funeral! What a horrible friend I am! We had MAJOR drama at our house and my assistance was needed. Please know how sorry I am that I missed it.

Chauntue Peterson said...

ok so I guess I am the worst friend in the whole wide world I am soo sorry that I didnt' know any of this. I am sorry for your loss and I am here if you need any thing.

Janice {Run Far} said...

What a great tribute to Grandma Karren. You sure know how to express yourself in such a wonderful way. Of the five years we have been friends, I have never seen a pic of your Great Grandma. What kind of friend am I? Glad things went well and that jam session the night before looks like alot of fun.