Monday, March 24, 2008

the one about Easter

I have kind of been an Easter scrooge this year, for a couple of reasons.

#1. It was just to early this year. Easter should not be on March 23rd. I don't care what you think. We need a couple more weeks to get ready.

#2. HELLO!!! There is still snow on the ground!

#3. We ALWAYS go camping for Easter, but not this year.

It was a cause and effect thing. Because of my reason #1 and #2, we didn't get to do reason #3. Errrrrrrr!

But I tried my very best to be a good sport, and I think we ended up having a nice weekend. It was super relaxing, and that was wonderful. A few weeks ago I bought a new book, and I was able to start and finish it. If you are looking for a quick good read, I reccomend it. I really love Nichols Sparks, and his newest book is called The Choice.

I got to take Quayd and do a few fun Easter things on Saturday. As I mentioned before, we are usually camping and I don't think Quayd has ever been on a real live Easter egg hunt. Let me explain what his idea of an Easter egg hunt is..... When I first married Brett, I went with his family for a fun Easter campout. I was told there would be an Easter egg hunt, so to bring candy. I was glad to! So we had been camping for a few days, and on Saturday it was just about time for the big event. I gathered up my candy and I was ready to hide it. Well everyone started walking toward this big dirt/sagebrush clearing. I wondered where on Earth we would hide it, but I went with it. All of a sudden I notice these crazy women throwing their candy all over in the dirt! Again, I just went with it. When it was time to turn the kids loose, they just freaked out! They loved it! They just ran and picked up nasty dirty candy and they were all really happy about it. I seriously thought it was the strangest thing I had ever seen. Until we went to "roll" eggs. That came later that afternoon. We all hiked our butts off up a big scary steep rock. Once we got to the top, everyone throws their eggs to the bottom. It is a game to see whose can tumble the farthest before breaking. The more eggs you take, the more fun you have, so each kid brings as many dozen eggs as they can carry to the top of the rock! WEIRD! But now, these silly strange things have become a major part of my Easter tradition. I love it and I look forward to it every year. I really missed it this year. For another "in-laws" side to this crazy Easter tradition, read Brett's Aunt Tara's blog post for today. It was super funny!

Something else that Brett, Quayd, Brayden and Brennen did on Saturday, was putting firecrackers in hard bolied eggs and blowing them up. They did this for hours and loved it. Boys!

As I metioned before, I couldn't really get into the Easter spirit this year. Until yesterday, my whole purpose for celebrating Easter was for this... (I LOVE these things!!!!!)
Seriously, that was all I really cared about. But then Brett and I had a nice long talk about religion, Easter, spirituality, love, family, and I finally remembered that Easter is really about this. And most importantly, this...

5 comments:

Janice {Run Far} said...

Hey- That was a great post, i loved it. That last picture was so awesome, when I saw it, I smiled, not in a bad or weird way, but I too have a hard time remembering the purpose sometimes and get all scroogy-

have a great week-

galleygrapevine said...

Mandy, thanks for the "plug" Seriously, I thought the family was nutso but it is so much fun!!! I just wasn't feeling Easter this year either. It's amazing when you get used to doing things a certain way how much you look fowrad to it and depend on it.

galleygrapevine said...

Mandy, thanks for the "plug" Seriously, I thought the family was nutso but it is so much fun!!! I just wasn't feeling Easter this year either. It's amazing when you get used to doing things a certain way how much you look fowrad to it and depend on it.

Kelli said...

I love Nicholas Sparks books. I love anything peanut butter and chocolate. I love your blog. hehe.

Michele and Wyatt said...

I thought Easter came way to early this year too. The middle of March, What were they thinking?