Wednesday, March 19, 2008

the one about taking Quayd to the Dentist

Here is a little background to prepare you for todays blog entry...

I can handle the Dentist. I don't LOVE to go or anything, but I am ok when I am there. Fortunatly, I have only had a few small cavities and never had to experience something traumatic at the Dentist.

Brett on the other hand.... has had horrible Dentist experiences. His mom and two brothers (and maybe Talia too) don't have enamel on their teeth and it causes them to decay and crumble in their mouths. They have gone through lots of trauma at the Dentist.

So about 12 years ago, I met a nice guy named Brett. We really liked each other and two years later decided to seal the deal and get married. About 2 years after that we thought we would like to bring a child into the family. It took a little bit of time for that child to come, but once he did, it was the greatest thing that could have happened to us. He seems to have gotten the better traits from each of us, making him a pretty good mix. He is built like his dad, has his dads thick hair, metabolism and his dads cute butt. On the otherhand, he is sensitive like his mom (most of the time that is good thing) and has his moms eyes.

So when it came to dental stuff, we were sure he would have mom's healthy teeth. I mean, why wouldn't he? WRONG-O!!!! They suck.

He has had this tooth bothering him off and on for a few weeks, and trying to get into a dentist in this town proved to be a joke. We have a family Dentist that we all love, but we weren't picky. Although, it was our family Dentist we ended up seeing. We were on the waiting list for a cancelation, but the next available appointmet was weeks away. This last weekend the toothache got really bad and we ended up calling the dentist at home. He called in an antibiotic and said he would get us in this week.

Well, today was the day. The ailing tooth was his bottom back right molar. There was a lot of decay on the tooth and he was afraid the nerve/root was dead. If that were the case, the tooth would have to be pulled. The Dentist decided the tooth was worth saving and he worked on it for quite awhile. I made Brett come with us because I simply can't handle hearing or seeing my baby in pain. I knew Quayd needed me, but I knew I needed Brett. Once they started working on the tooth, I went out to the waiting room. At one point, I could hear him crying and I got so upset I had to go for a walk outside. Once it was almost fixed, I went in and took this picture. Then they cleaned him up and we came home. I called work and said I couldn't come today because I needed to take care of him. He needed his Mommy. I made him a nice bed on the couch and we are hanging out watching cartoons. He hasn't complained much since we have been hope, except he keeps asking when his lips won't feel so fuzzy. Sad huh. Look at his sweet little face.

6 comments:

Holly said...

Poor Quayd! I know just how he feels - I got my dad's rotten teeth too. Hopefully he will be better at dealing with Dental Issues than I am!!! Glad he's feeling better now! :)

Jamie said...

poor babe tell him to go kick some butt on the wii it will make him feel better LOL.

Janice {Run Far} said...

Oh, what a brave little soul. I hate the dentist. He is so dang cute

Kandice said...

aww. poor little guy. I'm glad he has a good mommy to cuddle him better. Hopefully he will lose all his baby teeth and perfect healthy ones will grow back in!!

Michele and Wyatt said...

I'm glad he is feeling better. I felt so bad for him at the dentist. I hate the dentist too. What a good mom to stay home and take care of him. You guys are awesome.

Brooke said...

Oh, poor little guy. It stinks that sweetie pies like Quayd ever have to hurt. Brian had the same rotten enamel thing - got 'em all fixed in Mexico. Tell Quayd to get well soon!