Tuesday, March 25, 2008

the one about Lunch Lady Land

So I am sure you are wondering what in the world this post could be about with that crazy title. Tell me, what do you think of when you hear the phrase, "Lunch Lady?" C'mon, be honest.... Hair Net? Plastic gloves? Big nasty mole? Sloppy Joe?

Well I am here to defend the everyday lunch lady. I think she has gotten a bad reputation and when you think of her, I know you picture this: Or possibly, this:
Or for all of you Survivor fans, THIS:
Well, guess what. Get those preconceived notions out of your head. NOW! And when you think lunch lady, start thinking this:

Oh yah. It's true. I have made a career move and I am officially a lunch lady. I started today, and I must say, I had a great day.

Allow me to explain... I will keep it short and sweet. My old job was great, but just not working out. The software program wasn't working and it was causing me MUCH stress. When I was hired, I was told it would be until the end of this school year, and then they would determine renewal by the success of the program. Well, there was no success there! Really, the program just didn't work. It was super frustrating. I knew I needed to start looking if I wanted to keep working for the school district. I had thought about lunch stuff for next year, but then a job became available at Quayd's school and I just hated to pass it up. These "good" jobs don't come along too often, and a lot of times, once you are a lunch lady, you are always a lunch lady. Not a lot of turnover. As for now, furthering my education is definitely on hold, for other reasons that I will go into another time. I just felt like this move was a good choice for me. NO STRESS!!!! YIPPEE! The kitchen I work at is very small and there are only two of us, plus the cashier. (Shout out to Jamie!) Right around lunch time, a lady from another school comes to help us serve. And then I come home. My hours are 10-2. I am very excited and proud to be a lunch lady!

Quayd thinks it is great. I think it is great. All of the kids at school think its great. Brett, still not convinced, but he will see.... its not all bad. He did make this comment though..... "Its easier to fantasize about a "naughty teacher's aide" than a LUNCH LADY!" And my sweet, almost 12 year old nephew said, "Mandy. SERIOUSLY. Lunch Lady? That is quite a step down from substitute teacher. Don't you think?" I said in return, "Well, don't you think your lunch ladies are cool?" He kept the straightest face ever and said, "Um. NO!"

Oh well. I am happy with my decision. So stop thinking this... and start thinking.... THIS!!!! OOPS! I mean this.... And don't forget...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a hottie of a lunch lady! That's awesome - you guys will have so much fun and I'm sure the kids at school will be so happy to have you - you're such fun to be around!

Oh, and... you can't get away with posting a picture such as the one with you dressed in a wrestling outfit and not provide an explanation for it. You just can't!

Tari said...

Mandy Your such a nut. You make me laugh. I don't know if you remember but in high school someone did a skit about a lunch lady I think it was Mitch Montgomry. Anyway when you asked what comes to mind when you think lunch lady, well that came to mind for me. but from now on when I think lunch lady I will think cute little Mandy.......in her wrestling getup. Hee hee

Kandice said...

oh my flippin freakin heck. You are hilarious. That was SO funny. What a great post to wake up to. I especially loved the hairy mole...lol. You will be the best lunch lady EVER. Maybe someday I will come eat so I can be served by you....awwww that would be dreamy.

Hope said...

I had to laugh when I saw your title because just last night I was flippin' through Adam Sandler songs to put on my playlist!

LOVE the wrestling get-up, by the way. But it really warrants an explanation... I see in your future a blogpost solely about that picture.

Kelli said...

this post really made me laugh. like the wrestling outfit. Love survivor (dont grow a mullet) could have done without that picture of a hairy mole, but would I expect anything else from your blog. hehe, cant wait to show my hubby that mole picture.

Brooke said...

That is so cool, Mandy! I actually thought that for a mom, that would be a great job, and definitely one I would consider. So glad your out there busting the stereotype. Go Mandy!

Jamie said...

YOUR FREAKING AWESOME!! OH MY HECK I LAUGHED SO HARD AT THIS POST YOU ARE TOOO FUNNY AND IM GLAD I AM PRIVILIGED TO WORK WITH A LUNCH LADY LIKE YOU!!

Aspen said...

Mandy Ann! I'm so glad that I found your blog. I have had such a great laugh catching up on your life through your blog. Your sense of humor hasn't changed one bit since we were hanging out in jr. high. Good memories... I'd love to hear from you!

Michele and Wyatt said...

Congratulations on your new job. I think it is great. And I loved your post. You are so creative and fun!

Janice {Run Far} said...

That was such a funny post- i loved it. Congrates